Aadhaar Card is now mandatory to file income tax returns from FY 2016-17. Also Aadhaar card serves as a proof of identity and address for every Indian individual including children and infants in India. If anyone does not have Aadhaar card, this is a good time to apply for it. Here is the procedure to apply for Aadhaar card:
Procedure to apply for Aadhaar Card
- Find an enrollment center near you. Log on to https://aadharcarduid.com/aadhaar-card-center to find the center.
- Once you have found the center, you can book an appointment online. You can even visit the center without booking the appointment online. Alternately, you can book the appointment through official website https://aadharcarduid.com/aadhaar-card-apply-online
- Arrange the supporting documents which requires 1 proof of identity, 1 proof of address and 1 proof of date of Birth.To know about the complete list of documents. Click here
- On visiting the Aadhaar card center, you need to fill the enrollment form. The enrolment form is available online also on https://uidai.gov.in/images/uid_download/enrolment_form.pdf.
- You can take printout from there and can fill it before visiting the center also.
- Submit the enrollment form along with supporting documents. You need to submit biometric proof also.
- Once all the details are collected, you will get an acknowledgment slip for your enrollment. This will be 14 digit enrollment number which will help you keep a check on the status of your application. Also, you can file your income tax return by mentioning this Aadhaar enrolment ID.
Read our article to know more about enrollment ID.
- The data will be verified centrally and on successful verification of the data, Aadhaar number will be sent to your address through post. It can take up to 90 days (3 months) for the Aadhaar card to be sent to you.
How to check the status of allotment of Aadhaar Card Online?
- To check the status you have to go to the UIDAI website and use the enrollment number to see if you have been allotted an Aadhaar number.
- In the acknowledgment slip(enrollment number), look for these 2 items on the top:
- 14-digit enrollment number
- Date and time of enrollment
Documents that serve as proof of Identity :
- PAN card
- Ration/PDS Photo card
- Voter ID
- Driving license
- Government Photo ID Cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
- NREGS Job Card
- Photo ID issued by Recognized Educational Institution
- Arms License
- Photo Bank ATM Card
- Photo Credit Card
- Pensioner Photo Card
- Freedom Fighter Photo Card
- Kisan Photo Passbook
- CGHS/ECHS Photo Card
- Address Card having Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Certificate of Identify having photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
Documents that serve as proof of Address:
- Bank Statement/Passbook
- Post Office Account Statement/Passbook
- Ration Card
- Voter ID
- Driving License
- Government Photo ID cards/service photo identity card issued by PSU
- Electricity Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Water bill (not older than 3 months)
- Telephone Landline Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Property Tax Receipt (not older than 3 months)
- Credit Card Statement (not older than 3 months)
- Insurance Policy
- Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead
- Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on letterhead
- NREGS Job Card
- Arms License
- Pensioner Card
- Freedom Fighter Card
- Kisan Passbook
- CGHS/ECHS Card
- Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead
- Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) Income Tax Assessment Order
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Registered Sale/Lease/Rent Agreement
- Address Card having Photo issued by Department of Posts
- Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Govt.
- Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations
- Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Passport of Spouse
- Passport of Parents (in case of Minor)
Documents that serve as proof of Date of Birth:
- SSLC Book/CertificatePassport
- Certificate of Date of Birth issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on letterhead