New changes in the Form 16 – Part B has been notified by the income tax department. We have updated the below article as per the changes applicable to Form 16-Part B for FY 2018-19. Read here to know more
Deadline for Income Tax Return Filing is extended to 31st August 2019
for A.Y 2019-20 (F.Y 2018-19)
1. Form 16- Basics
Form 16 is a certificate issued by an employer and it contains the information you need to prepare and file your income tax return.
Employers must issue it every year on or before 15 June of the next year, immediately after the financial year in which the tax is deducted. Form 16 has two components – Part A and Part B. In case you lose your Form 16, you can request for a duplicate from your employer.
2. Part A of Form 16
An employer can generate and download this part of Form 16 through the TRACES (https://www.tdscpc.gov.in/app/login.xhtml) portal. Prior to issuing the certificate, the employer should authenticate its contents. It is important to note that if you change your job in one financial year, every employer will issue a separate Part A of Form 16, for the period of employment.
Some of the components of Part A are:
a. Name and address of the employer
b. TAN & PAN of employer
c. PAN of the employee
d. Summary of tax deducted & deposited quarterly, which is certified by the employer
Easy and Accurate ITR Filing on ClearTax
File in 7 Mins | Minimal Data Entry | 100% Paperless
3. Part B of Form 16
Part B of Form 16 is an annexure to Part A. If you change your job in one financial year, then it is for you to decide if you would want Part B of the Form from both the employers or from the last employer.
Some of the components of Part B notified newly for the FY 2019-20 are:
a. Detailed breakup of salary
b. Detailed breakup of exempted allowances under section 10
c. Deductions allowed under the income tax act (under chapter VIA):
Specific fields are notified for deductions mentioned below:
1. Deduction for life insurance premium paid, contribution to PPF etc., under section 80C
2. Deduction for contribution to pension funds under section 80CCC
3. Deduction for employee’s contribution to pension scheme under section 80CCD(1)
4. Deduction for taxpayer’s self contribution to notified pension scheme under section 80CCD(1B)
5. Deduction for employer’s contribution to pension scheme under section 80CCD(2)
6. Deduction for health insurance premium paid under section 80D
7. Deduction for interest paid on loan taken for higher education under section 80E
8. Deduction for donations made under section 80G
9. Deduction for interest income on savings account under section 80TTA
d. Relief under section 89
4. Details required from Form 16 while filing your return
With reference to the image below, here is where you will be able to locate certain information for filing your income tax return for FY 2018-19(AY 2019-20).
1. Allowances exempt under section 10
2. Breakup of deductions under Section 16
3. Taxable Salary
4. Income (or admissible loss) from house property reported by employee offered for TDS
5. Income under the head Other Sources offered for TDS
6. Breakup of Section 80C Deductions
7. Aggregate of Section 80C Deductions(Gross & Deductible Amount)
8. Tax Payable or Refund Due
Additional information, which you will require from your Form 16 while filing your annual return are:
a. TDS Deducted by Employer
b. TAN of Employer
c. PAN of Employer
d. Name and Address of Employer
e. Current Assessment Year
f. Your (Taxpayer’s) Name and Address
g. Your PAN
5. Frequently Asked Questions
How to get Form 16?
You can get your Form 16 from your employer. Even if you have left your job, your employer will provide you the Form 16. Unfortunately, this income tax form 16, cannot be downloaded from anywhere. .
I don’t have Form 16 how do I file my return?
Though this is one of the most important income tax forms, don’t worry if you do not have it. You can still file your income tax return. Click here to learn more.
If there is no TDS is the employer required to issue a Form 16?
TDS certificate in Form 16 is issued when TDS has been deducted. In case no TDS has been deducted by the employer, he may not give you a Form 16.
Take a look at our Guide on how to e-file without form 16
When the employer deducts TDS and does not issue a certificate?
Any person responsible for paying salaries is required to deduct TDS before making payment. The Income Tax Act lays down that every person who deducts TDS from a payment, must furnish a certificate with details of TDS deducted & deposited. An employer in specific is compulsorily required to furnish a certificate, in the format of Form 16. Read More
If no Form 16 has been issued to me does it mean I don’t have to pay tax or file a return?
While the onus of deducting tax on salaries and providing Form 16 is on the employer, the onus of paying income tax and filing income tax return is on you. If your income from all sources is above the minimum tax slab you are required to pay tax, whether or not your employer deducted TDS. Even when he fails to issue you a Form 16, you must file an income tax return and pay off the taxes that are due.
6. Download Consumer Guide
7. Upload Form 16 and File Income Tax Return
Our software automatically picks up all the relevant information from your Form 16 and prepares your tax return. No need to enter anything manually.
Upload your Form 16 to E-File ITR
Finish your E-filing for FREE with ClearTax
Start your Tax Return Now
- ClearTax makes it very easy to E-File your ITR
- E-Filing takes only a few minutes
- Our experts help you on live chat and email