The GST New Return Offline Tool has been launched, on a trial basis, for users to familiarise themselves with the return forms, which have been introduced under the New GST Return system. Currently, only the annexures under the main return i.e. GST ANX-1 and GST ANX-2 are available – both on the online portal as well as offline.
1. What are the advantages of the GST New Return Offline Tool?
- This tool will help users get acquainted with the new return system introduced under GST before it is mandatorily implemented.
- Users can test out the working of this tool, and give feedback to the GSTN for further improvements.
- This tool will enable businesses to transition into the new return system smoothly and easily.
- The tool works without the need for an internet connection, enabling the users to try out anytime without much expense.
2. What are the main components of the GST New Return Offline Tool?
Currently, the GST new return offline tool has been introduced with the following components-
- Form GST ANX-1: This form will be used for reporting details of all outward supplies, which can be entered document-wise, or imported from an excel file. The excel template will be available on downloading the tool.
- Form GST ANX-2: This form will be used for reporting details of all inward supplies. The details will be auto-drafted based on documents submitted by the suppliers, and action to approve or reject or mark the same as pending can be taken by the recipients.
- Matching Tool: This tool has been introduced for matching the purchase register of the taxpayer with the data auto-drafted in the GST ANX-2, which has been downloaded from the GST Portal.
3. Will the data entered in the GST New Return Offline Tool during the trial version get saved on the GST Portal?
After the trial period, the data that has been reported in both – GST ANX-1 and GST ANX-2 – will be fully erased. In addition, no liability will arise to a taxpayer based on the data submitted during the trial period.
4. What are the steps to Download and Install the GST New Return Offline Tool?
1. Visit the GST Portal and go to the ‘Downloads’ section, click on ‘Offline Tools’ and then click on ‘GST New Return Offline Tool (Beta)’ under the options available.
2. An option to download the tool will be highlighted. Click on ‘Download’.
A confirmation box will open, click on ‘Proceed’. A zip folder will start downloading on your system.
3. Extract the files from the zipped folder. One of the files, titled ‘GSTNewReturnsOffline_beta.exe’ will be available, which is the offline tool. Double-click on the same to open it.
4. A message to install the tool will pop-up on the screen. Select the folder where you intend to install the tool, and then click on ‘next’.
5. Click on ‘install’ for the installation to begin.
6. Once the tool has been installed, click on ‘finish’.
Open the tool by double-clicking on it.
Note: As the GST New Return Offline Tool may get updated over time, it is necessary for a user to always be using the latest version of the tool.