Income Tax e-Filing with ClearTax
- Easiest option for first time e-filers.
- The ClearTax platform automatically detects the ITR you need to file on the basis of your income sources
- Upload your Form 16 and ClearTax auto-prepares your Income Tax Return.
- Clear Tax is an e-intermediary. You can file your return directly from ClearTax without logging in to income tax website
- Useful tips to help you with filling up the information.
What is efiling?
Efiling or electronic filing is submitting your income tax returns online. There are two ways to file your income tax returns. The traditional way is the offline way where you go the Income Tax Department’s office to physically file your returns. The other way is when you efile through the internet. Over the past few years, efiling has become popular because it is easier, doesn’t require prints of documents and can be done for free.
Am I required to file Income Tax Returns?
It is mandatory to file income tax returns in India, if any of the below conditions are applicable to you, as per the Income Tax Act.
- Earn gross annual income more than-
|For individuals below 60 years||Rs 2.5 Lakhs|
|For individuals between 60 to 80 years||Rs 3.0 Lakhs|
|For individuals above 80 years||Rs 5.0 Lakhs|
- Earn income other than salary like house property, etc.
- Want to claim income tax refund from the department
- Earn from or have invested in foreign assets
- Wish to apply for visa or loan applications
- Company or a firm, irrespective of profit or loss
Difference between AY and FY
Financial Year is period between 1st April to 31st March. Assessment Year is the next year in which the income is liable to tax.
For example, if your financial year is from 1 April 2015 to 31 March 2016, then it is known as FY 2015-16. The assessment year for income earned during this period would begin after the financial year ends–that is on 1 April 2016 till 31 March 2017
How much tax should I pay?
Want to check how much Income Tax you’ll pay or see how deductions affect the Income Tax you owe? Use the Income Tax Calculator to calculate your tax liability for the last 3 financial years.
Has efiling tax returns for 2017 started?
Efiling income tax returns for Assessment Year 2017-18, which is Financial Year 2016-17 has started. The Income Tax Department will release the new ITR forms after 31st March and efiling for them will be allowed on their website as well as on ClearTax. We will incorporated all the changes in the new ITR forms to make it easy for you to efile your returns.
Due date for filing tax returns for FY 2014-15
March 31st is the deadline for filing tax returns for FY 2014-15 (AY 2015-16) and the interim deadline for FY 2015-16 (AY 2016-17).
Should I efile returns if I earned less than taxable income?
Yes, it is advisable to efile your income tax returns even if you don’t pay taxes. A zero-return filing will be helpful when you need to get your tax refund or apply for a loan or visa.
What is the deadline for efiling tax returns?
The last date for efiling income tax returns for FY2015-16 is 31st July 2016. You can efile your tax returns any time before then, but it is always better to efile early to avoid the rush and heavy website traffic in the last month.
How can I go about efiling multiple tax returns?
You don’t need to open different accounts on ClearTax to efile multiple tax returns. You can efile for returns for the current as well as the previous year from the same account. What’s more, you can even efile tax returns for your friends and family from your own ClearTax account. Here’s how.
I have a Form 16, how do I e-File my Income Tax Return?
- Upload your Form 16
- ClearTax automatically prepares your ITR
- Verify your tax summary
- e-File your tax return to receive acknowledgement number
- e-verify your tax return through net-banking
I don’t have a Form 16
- Enter your income details
- Declare investments made under Section 80C
- Cleartax auto-detects the relevant ITR Form for you
- Verify your tax summary
- E-file your tax return to receive acknowledgement number
- E-Verify your tax return through net-banking
I want to check the status of my ITR-V
After successfully submitting your income tax return, you get an acknowledgement from the IT department called the ITR-V or Income Tax Return-Verification. You receive a mail on your registered e – mail ID from the income tax department containing the ITR – V.