GSTR-3B is a monthly self-declaration that has to be filed a registered dealer from July 2017 till March 2018.
1. Basics of GSTR-3B
A. What is GSTR-3B?
GSTR-3B is a simple return form introduced by the CBEC for July 2017 to March 2018.
GSTR-3B contains details of outward and inward supplies. Do note that you do not have to provide invoice level information in this form. Only total values for each field have to be provided.
You must file a separate GSTR-3B for each GSTIN you have.
The tax liability of GSTR-3B must be paid by the last date of filing GSTR-3B for that month.
B. When is GSTR-3B Due?
GSTR-3B has to be filed by 20th of next month till March 2018.For example, due date of return for the period November 2017 is 20th December 2017
C. Who Should File GSTR-3B?
Every person who has registered for GST must file the return GSTR-3B. This return form must be filed and submitted by you even if you do not have any transactions during these months.
However, the following registrants do not have to file GSTR-3B
- Input Service Distributors
- Composition Dealers
- Suppliers of online information and database access or retrieval services (OIDAR), who have to pay tax themselves (as per Section 14 of the IGST Act)
- Non-resident taxable person
D. Revising GSTR-3B
GSTR-3B cannot be revised. There is no way of revising GSTR-3B once it is filed.
E. Late Fee & Penalty
Filing GSTR-3B is mandatory. Even if a taxpayer has no transactions during a month, it will still have to file a nil return.
Interest @ 18% per annum is payable. It has to be calculated by the taxpayer on the amount of outstanding tax to be paid. The time period will be from the next day of due date for filing to the date of payment.
Late Fee for filing GSTR-3B after the due date is as follows:
- Rs. 50 per day of delay
- Rs. 20 per day of delay for taxpayers having Nil tax liability for the month.
Note: Late fee for July, August, and September has been waived. Any late fees paid will be credited back to Electronic Cash Ledger under ‘Tax’ and can be utilized to make GST payments (as per the 23rd GST Council meeting).
2. How to File GSTR-3B on ClearTax GST Software?
ClearTax GSTR-3B Advantage:
- Calculate your accurate tax liability before uploading 3B Form to GSTN Portal
- Save time by managing all your GSTINs at one place
- Easily import invoices from Tally/Busy/Other ERP OR opt to import Excel summary with just one click
- Zero chances of errors – No manual entry required in 3B Form
3. General GSTR-3B Queries
A. I have no sales or purchase in a month. Should I still file GSTR-3B?
Yes, GSTR-3B has to be filed by every registered person even if there are no transactions in a month.
B. Should I provide invoice wise details on the return?
Only consolidated numbers are required in GSTR-3B. Invoice wise breakup is not required.
C. I have 2 GSTIN’s. One in Delhi and other in Assam. Can I file 1 GSTR-3B for both registrations?
No. GSTR-3B has to be filed for every GSTIN separately. The returns cannot be clubbed.
D. Can I file the return using ClearTax GST Software?
You can prepare and upload your GSTR-3B using ClearTax GST Software. But the final submission and filing have to be done on GST portal/GSTN.
E. Will there be any invoice matching in GSTR-3B?
Invoice matching is not done in GSTR-3B. This return is more of a self-declaration.
F. Do i have to file GSTR-1, GSTR-2 and GSTR-3 even after filing GSTR-3B?
GSTR-1 has to be filed on a monthly or a quarterly basis depending on the turnover. Due dates and filing of GSTR-2 and GSTR-3 will be worked out by the GST Council soon. You have to file GSTR-3B every month.
For Further information and reading:
- Guide to file GSTR-3B on ClearTax GST Software
- Guide to file GSTR-3B on GST Portal
- Guide to file GSTR-3B using Tally
- Details to be mentioned in GSTR-3B