File GST Returns with ClearTax to avoid errors and save time
Start your one-month free trial now!
GST Number Search Tool
Legal Name of Business
Date of registration
Constitution of Business
GSTIN / UIN Status
Click here to find out HSN / SAC Codes for goods and services.
What is GSTIN?
GSTIN is GST identification number or GST number. A GSTIN is a 15-digit PAN-based unique identification number allotted to every registered person under GST. As a GST-registered dealer, you might want to do a GST Number (GSTIN) verification before entering it in your GST Returns.
There can be multiple GSTIN for a single person, being an assessee under the Income Tax Act for every State or Union Territory in which such person operates from. It becomes compulsory to obtain GSTIN when the person crosses the threshold limit for GST registration by registering himself under GST.
Unlike the previous indirect tax regime, where multiple registration numbers were present for different laws like Excise, Service Tax and VAT, it is a single registration number under GST- GSTIN.
GSTIN or GST number is public information. GST number search by name is an important task that every business dealing with GST registered taxpayers must carry out to ensure the authenticity of the vendor and the GSTIN or GST number being used in the invoice. Technology has enabled you to verify GSTIN by a click of a button from anywhere and anytime. Search GST number before you proceed with a deal. You can partly verify GSTIN or GST number on the first look of it by checking if the vendor’s PAN number matches with the digits between 3 and 10 in the GSTIN. Use the ClearTax GSTIN verification tool to verify GSTIN or verify GST number in jippy!
Know more about GST, Goods and Services Tax Laws.
What is the ClearTax GST Number Search Tool?The ClearTax GST Number Search Tool enables businesses to verify any GSTIN with a single-click GSTIN search. This feature can be used by anyone free of cost, provided they have the requisite GSTIN on hand.
Advantages of online GSTIN search & verification toolThe benefits of verification of a GSTIN are:
- To check the authenticity of any GSTIN
- A GSTIN on a hand-written invoice can be verified easily, if unclear
- You can prevent yourself from associating with vendors using fake GSTINs
- Avoid a GSTIN fraud
- Help vendors correct any potential error in reporting GSTIN
How to use the ClearTax GST Number Search Tool?All you have to do is-
- Enter a valid GSTIN number in the search box below
- Click on “Search” button
- The legal name of the business
- Date of registration
- Constitution of business – company, sole-proprietor or partnership
- Taxpayer type – regular taxpayer or composition dealer
- GSTIN status / UIN status
GST Return Filing & Billing simplified with ClearTax GST Software
Frequently Asked Questions
What is GSTIN?GSTIN stands for Goods and Service Tax Identification Number. It is a 15-digit alpha-numeric PAN-based unique code, which is allocated to every GST-registered person. This unique number will be issued state wise.
How to get GSTIN?To get GSTIN, one has to submit the Form GST REG-01 along with the required documents using the GST portal. After an officer performs a verification, GSTIN will be allocated to the applicant.
What does GSTIN contain?GSTIN structure comprises
- First 2 numbers → State code of the registered person
- Next 10 characters → PAN of the registered person
- Next number→ Entity number of the same PAN
- Next character → Alphabet Z by default
- Last number → Check code which may be alpha or digit, used for detection of errors
What are the uses of GSTIN?GSTIN is one of the pre-requisites for starting a business. As per the GST law, GSTIN has to be displayed at all places of businesses of a registered individual. Also, it has to be quoted during the process of raising invoices, while generating e-way bills, during GST return filing, and during the submission of information to the tax department.
What is the use of verifying GSTIN?Verifying GSTIN helps to perform the following activities:
- To check the authenticity of GSTIN
- To avoid GSTIN frauds
- To quote the correct GSTIN
- To prevent the vendors from using fake GSTIN