In this age of cut-throat competition, everyone wants to grow their business beyond the limits of the domestic market. However, doing business globally isn’t just a cup of tea for everyone. Before going global, you need to follow several procedures and laws in place, and get different registration and license. IEC (Import Export Code) license is one of such prerequisite when you’re thinking of importing or exporting from India.
IEC (Import Export Code) is required by anyone who is looking to kick-start his/her import/export business in the country. It is issued by the DGFT (Director General of Foreign Trade). IEC is a 10-digit code which has a lifetime validity. Predominantly importers merchant cannot import goods without the Import Export Code and similarly, the exporter merchant cannot avail benefits from DGFT for the export scheme, etc. without IEC.
IEC is required in following situations:
- i) When an importer has to clear his shipments from the customs then it’s needed by the customs authorities.
ii) When an importer sends money abroad through banks then it’s needed by the bank.
iii) When an exporter has to send his shipments then its needed by the customs port.
iv) When an exporter receives money in foreign currency directly into his bank account then its required by the bank.
Applying for IEC (Import/Export Code) Registration
- First up, you need to prepare an application form in the specified format – Aayaat Niryaat form no. 2A format and file it with the respective Regional office of DGFT.
- Secondly, you need to prepare the required documents with respect to your identity & legal entity and address proof with your bank details & the certificate in respect of ANF2A.
- One your application is completed, you need to file with DGFT via DSC (Digital Signature Certificate) and pay the required fee for the IEC Registration.
- Finally, once your application is approved then you would receive the IEC Code in a soft copy from the government.
Documents needed for IEC (Import Export Code) Registration
For IEC Code Registration following documents are required:
- Individual’s or Firm’s or Company’s copy of PAN Card.
- Individual’s voter id or Aadhar card or passport copy.
- Individual’s or company’s or firm’s cancel cheque copy of current bank account.
- Copy of Rent Agreement or Electricity Bill Copy of the premise.
Benefits of IEC Registration
1. Expansion of Business
IEC assists you in taking your services or product to the global market and grow your businesses.
2. Availing Several Benefits
The Companies could avail several benefits of their imports/ exports from the DGFT, Export Promotion Council, Customs, etc., on the basis of their IEC registration.
3. No Filling of returns
IEC does not require the filing of any returns. Once allotted, there isn’t any requirement to follow any sort of processes for sustaining its validity. Even for export transactions, there isn’t any requirement for filing any returns with DGFT.
4. Easy Processing
It is fairly easy to obtain IEC code from the DGFT within a period of 10 to 15 days after submitting the application. There isn’t any need to provide a proof of any export or import for getting IEC code.
5. No need for renewal
IEC code is effective for the lifetime of an entity and requires no renewal. After it is obtained, it could be used by an entity against all export and import transactions.
Cases where Import Export Code (EIC) is not mandatory
According to the latest circular issued by the government, IEC is not mandatory for all traders who are registered under GST. In all such cases, the PAN of the trader shall be construed as new IEC code for the purpose of import and export.
Import Export Code (IEC) isn’t required to be taken in case the goods exported or imported is for the personal purposes and isn’t used for any commercial purpose.
Export/ Import done by the Government of India Departments and Ministries, Notified Charitable institutions need not require getting Import Export Code.
If you are looking to expand your market and go beyond country borders and export/import, reach out to our experts and know all formalities you need to get through. You can avail all services such as GST registration, business registration etc here.