1. Mutual Fund Diversification
The ultimate aim of diversifying is reduce risks in mutual fund
investments. This helps achieve higher yield returns on average. Thus, it cushions the negative impact of the adverse performance of any one (or a few) security in the overall portfolio. The practical application of diversification to a first time investor may seem overwhelming and even intimidating. However, the concept of this theory is quite simple. Let us elucidate it in three steps as given below.
2. Step-by-step guide to diversification
i. An investor must first build a portfolio with the inclusion of various different investment instruments. This could range from options like stocks and bonds, to cash mutual funds and so on.
ii. The second step o diversify involves sorting the risk element of various investment schemes. You can do this by picking securities with diverse risk levels. This way, even if you face loss in one, the gains from the others can compensate for the that.
iii. Diversification can also be across different industries. It is important to take into consideration and pick securities according to industries in order to minimize the industry-specific risks.
iv. Success of a diversified portfolio depends on the skills of the fund manager
. It is the manager who decides when and where to invest.
3. What it means to diversify investment portfolio
There are certain investment instruments that tend to perform better than their counterparts. This depends factors like the prevailing interest rates, the market conditions and the performance of the currency market.
It is important to note that diversification does not completely avert the risks. Rather, it can only minimize the impact of the loss on the investing portfolio. Investing in mutual funds that invest across a broad range of assets is one way to spread the risks. For instance, exchange-traded funds
help reduce exposure to your portfolio of investments that form a certain index.
4. Why diversification is important to investors
It is clear that diversification forms one of the most important principles in investing. If one seeks to grow their portfolio it is vital to diversify their investment.
- Diversifying, without any doubt, protects the various asset classes in your investment kitty and helps it grow.
- As an investor, you get to explore more investment choices as you move from just one form to another. Nothing but dabbling and experimenting like this can educate investors and make them savvier in investing.
- Diversification allows investors to get familiar with different investment strategies. This way one gets to learn multiple approaches to investing from value-focused to growth-focused investing.
- The most important aspect of diversification is that it lowers the overall risk of investing in an investor’s portfolio.
- Many are biased towards the domestic market and tend to invest only within the confines of the country. Diversification makes an investor look beyond the national border, when seeking investment options. So, it opens a huge avenue for international investment.
- Investment in international market is as important as investing in the home country. Therefore, it minimizes the portfolio risks during periods of economic recessions in the domestic economy and vice versa.
Thus, diversification helps investors achieve consistent returns on investments and ensures a smoother performance of the portfolio. Investing with ClearTax Save
can help you gain a diversified portfolio in a hassle-free manner. We have handpicked top-performing funds that suit diverse investment needs for your convenience. Start investing.