You are more likely to see a tax due at the time of filing when you’ve changed jobs even if TDS has been getting deducted each month. Here’s why:
- Let’s s say you worked at Infosys for 6 months and then moved to Wipro.
- You also earned interest income of Rs.10,000 from a fixed deposit.
|Income from INFOSYS(6 months)||Rs.3,50,000|
|Income from WIPRO(6 months)||Rs.5,00,000|
- Infosys deducted 10% TDS on your income of Rs.3,50,000 after providing basic exemption of Rs 2,50,000.
- Wipro calculated tax on your income of Rs.5,00,000 and deducted 10% TDS after providing for the basic exemption of Rs 2,50,000. This is because they did not have information about Infosys. Tax due is arrived at as the basic exemption being provided twice for same PAN(not allowed) and due to the combined income from Infosys and Wipro falling under a higher tax bracket.
HOW TO CALCULATE TAX CORRECTLY?
- Income tax is calculated on income after deductions.
- The total of ‘Income chargeable under Salaries’ is your gross total income.
- If you have interest income from fixed deposits etc, add it to your gross total income.
- Subtract all the deductions you’ve made under Section 80C such as investments towards ELSS, PPF or medical insurance or life insurance.
|Gross total income||Rs.8,60,000|
|Total deductions under Section 80C||Rs.80,000|
|Total taxable income||Rs. 7,80,000|
Tip: Check both your Form 16s that you are getting all the deductions under Section 80C. If you’ve forgotten to submit investment proofs to either of the companies, you can claim them in your tax return directly.
This is the income on which your tax must be paid. Going by the tax slab, the total tax incidence works out to Rs.83,430.
|0- Rs.2,50,000||No tax|
|Rs.5,00,000 – Rs.7,80,000||20%||Rs.56,000|
|Education cess + Higher education cess||3% on tax
(3% of Rs.68,500)
Tip: You can check the detailed breakdown of your tax computation in the Word document on ClearTax or use a calculator to do the math for you.
For instructions on how to pay the tax due, follow the steps listed in this article.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to do to make sure tax is correctly deducted in case of change in employer?
Make sure you submit your income received from your previous employer to the new employer,and also submit all other details of deductions and any loss from house property.
What to do if I have forgotten to submit or unable to submit certain deductions related documents to the employer ?
You can always consider the same in when you are filing your tax return