Contractor agreement is a contract between a company and a contractor hired by them. A contractor performs specific project/tasks. It defines the overall terms and conditions regarding the work undertaken by the contractor as well as their role, duties, and obligations. The agreement serves as a legal document in the event of any disputes between the company and contractor.
Major elements of the Contractor Agreement are as under:
- Scope of Work: The agreement should clearly define the work standards expected and other terms & conditions governing the performance of work by the contractor. The resulting deliverables produced by them should be suitable for the intended purpose of the company.
- Duties and Obligations of Contractor: The contractor must plan, manage and supervise his work properly. He must deliver his work as per time schedule mentioned in the agreement.
- Compensation: The amount of compensation to be paid to the contractor for his services and the mode of payment are specified in the agreement.
- Information, Data, and Materials: The contractor must disclose the information, reports, methods, formulae, computer designs, inventions, software specifications, manuals, etc. related to his performance of work in the company as and when required by the company. The ownership of all such information and data rests with the contractor only.
- Confidentiality: The contractor must follow the confidentiality norms mentioned in the agreement. He shall not disclose any information relating to company’s trade secrets, pricing, methods and data, key controls, technical data, product-specific information etc. to any person.
- Indemnity: If any loss or damage is suffered by the company due to the work and activities being undertaken by the contractor, then they are liable to pay the company for the loss or damage incurred.
- Compliances by Contractor: The contractor needs to follow some compliance while performing his work. Such compliance includes:
Safety and Security Regulations of the Company: Contractor must comply with safety and security regulations applicable to the company.
Payment of Taxes and Notifications to Tax Authorities: Contractor must pay the applicable taxes wherever required and should follow the other necessary tax compliance.