Thank you for your response
Our representative will get in touch with you shortly.
An eating house license is an integral license for conducting business where any kind of food or drink is supplied for consumption legally. It is regulated by the Delhi Police Act. The license is required at the time of opening of the food business in India along with other licenses.
To understand the requirements of obtaining an eating house license, the first and foremost thing is to understand what is an eating house. It is defined as “Any place which offers various products related to food or drink to the general public for consumption is regarded as an eating house. This covers all shops, restaurants, dhabas, food trucks, cafes, and any establishments that provide food and drink.
The license is mandatory as per the Delhi Police Act and must be applied under City/ State Police Headquarters and the Police commissioner. The authority will issue the license post verification of documents.
The procedure for obtaining the license involves three steps:
– Fill the online application
– Submit the documents
– Meet the Additional Commissioner of Police
The detailed steps involved in obtaining the license are as follows:
1. The applicant must first register on the registration page of the official website of the police of the state in which the eating house is intended to be established. The applicant will receive a user id and password.
2. The next step is to fill up the application for the license and upload the requisite documents.
3. After all the documents have been submitted, the applicant must visit the Additional Commissioner of Police of the state for the verification of application and the examination of documents.
4. After this, the applicant must call the concerned department for a follow up on the application. If the application is rejected for any incomplete information or malafide information, the fees paid will be forfeited by the government.
5. Lastly, within 45-60 days, the applicant will be issued the eating house license provided the application, and the documents submitted are adequate.
The following is the comprehensive list of the documents which needs to be uploaded along with the application:
Eating House site-related documents:
Director and employee-related documents:
The renewal of the license will take place when the validity of the license ends. The validity of the license depends on the issuing authority, that is the validity of the license varies from state to state. Generally, the license is valid for three years. The renewal process is similar to applying for a new license.
The authority that grants the license also reserves the right to cancel the same in the following circumstances:
In case the license is torn, damaged, or deteriorated, the applicant can apply for a duplicate license along with the prescribed fees. The authority will evaluate the application and grant the same. The eating house license is one of the many licenses required to run a food business in India. It is imperative to obtain the same to run a legitimate business.
Disclaimer: The materials provided herein are solely for information purposes. No attorney-client relationship is created when you access or use the site or the materials. The information presented on this site does not constitute legal or professional advice and should not be relied upon for such purposes or used as a substitute for legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state.