1. How to respond to Demand Notice from IT Department?Your jurisdictional Income Tax Officer (ITO) will upload the Demand Notice online. You can access the content of this notice by logging into your e-filing account on the website www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in, where you can record your responses.
2. Step-by-Step Guide to Respond to a Demand Notice
Step 1 : Login to your e-filing account on www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in with user ID and password.
Step 2: Click on ‘E-file’ and go to ‘Respond to Outstanding Tax Demand’.
You will see the following details displayed-
- Assessment year
- Section code
- Demand notification number
- Date on which demand is raised
- Outstanding demand amount
- Uploaded by
- Rectification rights
- Response – submit and view
Easy and Accurate ITR Filing on ClearTax
File in 7 Mins | Minimal Data Entry | 100% Paperless
Step 3: Click on ‘Submit’ for the relevant assessment year. Choose one of the options mentioned below-
- Demand is correct
- Demand is partially correct
- Disagree with demand
3. What are the options to respond to Demand Notice?
Option 1 – Demand is correctStep 1: When you select this option, a pop-up screen appears with a message ‘If you confirm, demand is correct then you can’t disagree with the demand’. Step 2: Click on the ‘Submit’ button. Step 3: A success message will be displayed. Step 4: If a refund is due, the outstanding amount and the interest will be adjusted against the refund due. Otherwise, you must pay the demand immediately. Read about how to pay your tax demand
Option 2 – Demand is partially correctStep 1: You will see two fields to enter a correct and incorrect amount. Step 2: Once you enter the amount in the fields, you must choose a reason for stating the department’s calculation to be partially correct.
- Filing type
- E-filed acknowledgment number
- Remarks (comments, if any of the tax payer)
- Upload challan copy
- Upload TDS certificate
- Upload letter requesting rectification copy
- Upload indemnity bond
Option 3 – Disagree with the DemandStep 1: Upon choosing this option, you must provide details of why you disagree with the department’s call. Step 2: You must also provide reasons for your disagreement from the available options. Step 3: Submit your response to view a success screen with a transaction ID. Step 4: You can revisit the response when you click on ‘View’ under the ‘Response’ tab. Step 5: You can view the serial number, transaction ID, date of response, and response type will be displayed.