If you have received an Income tax notice to file returns in an email from the Income Tax Department which looks like this
The Income Tax department is sending this letter to people who have not e-Filed or have not disclosed all incomes according to their records.
In short, the Income Tax Department wants you to explain why you haven’t e-Filed your return and may additionally ask you to explain some facts regarding your income.
Doing this is fairly simple. Here’s an in-depth illustrated guide on how to do so.
Login to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
The Income Tax Department has created a new module in its interface called “Compliances”
1. Login to your Income Tax Department website account. (If you do not have access to your Income Tax Department Account, contact ClearTax)2. If you haven’t filed your return choose the reason you haven’t done so and reach out to one of tax experts who will assist you with this matter
If you have already filed your Income Tax Return for the year in question, pick the type of filing and enter your Acknowledgement Number and Date of Filing. And wait for the next communication from the IT Department.
3. You may also be requested to submit the “Compliance Form”. This is basically a list of all major financial transactions carried out associated with your PAN. Here’s an example —
Look at the list items for the relevant year and mark the answers duly.
- “CIB-403” or “Time Deposit exceeding Rs. 2,00,000/- with a Banking Company” may relate to your Fixed Deposits
- “TDS-92B” or “TDS Return – Salary to employees (Section 192)” relates to income you have received as salary
- “AIR-002” or “Paid Rs. 2,00,000 or more against Credit Card Bills” relates to your credit card spending
- “TDS-94A” or “TDS Return – Interest other than interest on securities (Section 194A)” may relate to taxable interest income you may receive