Budget 2021 update: Till now, salary, tax payments and TDS are only pre-filled in ITR. Now, capital gains, dividend incomes, and interest income will also be pre-filled.
Budget 2021 update :It has been proposed to exempt the senior citizens from filing income tax returns if pension income and interest income are their only annual income source. Section 194P has been newly inserted to enforce the banks to deduct tax on senior citizens more than 75 years of age who have a pension and interest income from the bank.
31st July of the assessment year following the financial year is usually the last day to file your Income Tax Returns of any given financial year. This year the due date has been extended to 10th January 2021 due to pandemic.
The process of filing your Income Tax Returns in India takes some preparation. This is why the Government usually gives you four months’ window period to compile all documents like salary/income details, bank statements, previous tax statements, etc.
The procedure varies as per the income earned per year and income source like salary, business profit, investment profit and so on. Collating all your documents ready is just one aspect of it.
In this article, we will discuss in detail about the documents needed for filing Income Tax Returns in India.
1. Choosing the applicable ITR form
Taxpayers have to choose the ITR form
applicable to them for the AY 2019-20.
2. Link Aadhaar with PAN
It is mandatory for taxpayers to link Aadhaar
with PAN for the AY 2019-20 on or before the filing of income tax returns.
3. For Salaried Employees
If you are a salaried employee, gather these documents to e-file your income tax returns in India. Go through this list to see the documents you’ll need to do your taxes.
- Form-16 issued by your employer
- Month wise salary slips
From the AY 2019-20, it is essential to gather the information on all taxable allowances received and the amount claimed exempt out of such allowances e.g., house rent allowance, leave travel allowance etc and disclose the same in the IT return.
Did you know that Form-16 is all you need to e-file your income tax returns on ClearTax? It’s that simple really. Got your Form-16? Start e-filing.
4. Documents related to interest income
- Bank statement/passbook for interest on savings account.
- Interest income statement for fixed deposits.
- TDS certificate issued by banks and others.
ClearTax automatically gives you tax benefit as per Section 80TTA when you enter your income from savings account interest. You won’t need all the documents listed here as they vary on a case-by-case basis.
5. Form 26AS
Form 26AS is a summary of taxes deducted on your behalf and taxes paid by you. This is provided by the Income Tax Department.
It shows details of tax deducted on your behalf by deductors, details on tax deposited by taxpayers and tax refund received in the financial year. This form can be accessed from the I-T Department’s website.
Learn how to access your Form 26AS
6. Section 80 Investments
Section 80C investment documents. Investment made under PPF, NSC, ULIPS, ELSS, LIC qualify for deductions under Section 80C.
7. Documents Required to Claim the Following Expenses as Deductions
Keep these documents at hand to claim the following expenses as deductions –
- Your contribution to Provident Fund
- Your children’s school tuition fees
- Life insurance premium payment
- Stamp-duty and registration charges
- Principal repayment on your home loan
- Equity Linked Savings Scheme/Mutual funds investment
- The maximum amount that can be claimed under Section 80C is Rs 1.5 lakhs.
Click here to see the detailed list of all the deductions available under Section 80
To know more about how to claim deductions against your home loan, Click here.
8. Other Investment Documents
- Interest paid on housing loan: Interest on housing loan is eligible for tax saving up to Rs 2,00,000. This is for a self-occupied house. For let out or deemed let out property, there is no limit of interest on housing loan eligible for tax saving till FY 2016-17.
From FY 2017-18, the total loss from house property available for set off against other income is capped at Rs 2 lakhs and therefore, interest on housing loan is eligible for tax saving up to Rs 2,00,000 for let out property as well.
- Education loan interest payments.
- Stock trading statement: The stock trades that were made during the year may be taxed under Capital Gain.
9. Documents Required for Income Tax Returns Filing
The income tax return you file is an ‘annexure less’ return, i.e. no documents or proofs are required to be attached with the returns. The Income Tax Act specifies obtaining certificates and proofs to claim deductions, which makes it ambiguous for the taxpayers as to whom they must handover those certificates and proofs.
The taxpayers must preserve those certificates and receipts for future references and need not attach or send it to anyone. In case an assessing officer (AO) sends a notice asking for documents or clarification about the transactions mentioned in the returns, the taxpayer will have to submit the proofs to the AO.
Finish your E-filing for FREE with ClearTax
Start your Tax Return Now
- ClearTax makes it very easy to E-File your ITR
- E-Filing takes only a few minutes
- Our experts help you on live chat and email