1. Public Provident Fund
Public Provident Fund (PPF) is a popular long term investment option scheme. It is backed by the Government of India and also offers attractive interest rate and returns with safety. These returns are fully exempted from Tax under Section 80C Of The Income Tax Act. Investors can look at saving tax in the range of Rs. 500 to maximum Rs. 1,50,000 in one financial year and can get the facilities such as loan, withdrawal and extension of account.
PPF is a good alternative self-employed people or for those who are from unorganized sectors since EPF/GPF is not available for them.
2. Product Features of PPF
- Attractive interest rate of 7.6% that is fully exempted from Income Tax under section 80C
- Good long term investments of 15 years
- Deposit Amount as low as Rs.500 and maximum Rs.1,50,000 in one financial year
- Deposits can be done maximum in 12 transactions
- Loan can be availed between 3rd to 6th financial year
- Partial withdrawal facility can be availed from 7th financial year onwards
- Account can be extended in a block period of 5 years after maturity
3. Opening a PPF Account
Usually PPF account can be easily opened in a designated post office or a bank branch. However if you are an SBI Bank customer, opening a PPF account is an extra easy task that can be completed in a few minutes without any hassle. SBI customers can now open a PPF account online anytime, 24X7. SBI Bank has announced the launch of a digital service that enables customers to open a Public Provident Fund (PPF) account instantly and in a completely online and paperless manner.
An SBI Bank customer has the option of opening an PPF account conveniently anytime, anywhere using the bank’s digital channels of internet and mobile banking/Mobile APP. As per SBI Bank’s claim it is one of the first bank in India to offer instant Public Provident Fund (PPF) account facility.
4. Opening a PPF Account Online
Here is what you need as pre-requisites in order to open an instant PPF need account online @ SBI Bank:
- You should be a Savings Bank account customer of SBI Bank.
- You should have net-banking/Mobile banking enabled for your account.
- Your ‘Aadhaar’ number should be linked to your account.
- Your mobile number which is linked to your Aadhaar should be in active status, to receive OTP (one time password) which is used to e-sign/e-authorize opening of PPF account instantly.
Step Process to Open PPF Account
- Visit SBI Bank portal www.onlinesbi.com and login with your credentials.
- Click and select ‘New PPF Accounts ‘option.
3.It leads to the ‘New PPF Account’ page on the SBI portal. Existing customer details including his or her PAN (Permanent Account Number) are displayed on this page.
4. Enter relevant details of bank account number from which you would like to contribute to PPF account and PAN number. Provide bank branch details. Once you enter the branch code and proceed to the next field, the portal automatically displays the respective branch name.
5. Your personal details need to be verified. These might include address, nomination data and then you need to click on ‘proceed’ button.
6. Once you do this your PPF account is instantly created in few seconds and The account number of PPF is displayed instantly to you. It must be noted that the statement of the transaction, as well as the annual statement of the PPF account, is available on internet banking.
7. Print the account opening form from the tab ‘Print PPF Online Application’ and visit the branch with KYC documents and a photograph within 30 days, SBI adds on its portal
5. Important Points to Note When Opening a PPF Account
- As per the Indian law, an individual is allowed to open only one PPF account in his/her name.
- Minimum deposit is Rs 100 as initial deposit amount.
- A PPF account for Minors can’t be opened through online mode. You need to visit any of the SBI Bank branches.
- NRIs can not open PPF account.
- You can visit the nearest SBI Bank branch and give the request for nomination updating /change (if required).
- Joint-account holders cannot open PPF account online.
- Customer needs to visit the branch to get the passbook for a PPF account.