In the last few years, Aadhaar has emerged as an essential identity document for Indian citizens. Central Government is linking aadhaar URN to various government schemes to ensure that only the eligible citizens receive the benefits under the respective scheme.
1. What is URN?
URN or Update Request Number is a unique number that is allocated to you when you apply for correction in your aadhaar Data. You receive a URN irrespective of the fact whether you have applied for the change through online channels or offline channels. The URN is automatically generated by the system on submission of a request for change. This update request number can be used by you to check URN status anytime you want.
It is imperative for you to keep your URN safe as it is required to track the aadhaar URN Status. If you lose the URN, you will not be able to know the outcome of your request for updating aadhaar data.
2. How to check the URN status online
Checking the URN status has become an effortless task with the help of SSUP portal. You can log-on to the SSUP portal from anywhere and anytime, to check your aadhaar URN status online. If you do not have access to a computer or intent connection, you can also visit the aadhaar enrolment centre for information on the same.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to check URN status online: –
- Visit the official aadhaar self-service portal and click on the link for the self-service portal. You can also directly click on this link https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/check-status
- In the respective input field, enter your aadhaar Number and URN Number.
- Make sure that you have entered the correct details because you would otherwise not be able to check the aadhaar URN status.
- Now enter the CAPTCHA code to complete the verification process.
- Click on the button “Get Status”. You will now be able to check URN Status Online.
The information on the result page will give you a clear indication of the status of your update request. You can see three possible results –
- If the request has been successful, it means that the changes have been made successfully in the aadhaar and you can now download the updated copy of your e-aadhaar. You will also receive the same by post.
- If the request is under process, it means that the changes are yet to be approved. You need to check-in after a few more days.
- If the request has been rejected, it means the changes have not been made, and you will need to apply for the same again.
3. Reasons for Rejection
In some cases, the request for updating the aadhaar is rejected by the UIDAI. You would be able to see the reason for rejection on the result page itself. The primary reasons that can lead to cancellation of your request are: –
- You have not provided sufficient documents
- You have provided incorrect details
- There have been some typographical errors in the update application form.
- The documents provided have not been self-attested
There is no reason to be disheartened due to the rejection of aadhaar update request. You can always apply again with proper documents and details. If you are uncertain about the same, you can also visit the nearest aadhaar enrolment centre and get the required assistance.
4. How to update your aadhaar?
It is not uncommon to find typographical mistakes in aadhaar cards. It is because the operator might err while entering the details in the system. There could be errors related to name, address, age or other aspects of the aadhaar. It is essential to get these errors rectified immediately.
As aadhaar is unique for every citizen, it serves as an excellent option for identifying the eligible beneficiaries. As such, it has become imperative to ensure that all your details and information in the aadhaar card are accurate and correct. Otherwise, you will be stuck with an erroneous identity document and will not be able to receive the benefits accorded by aadhaar.
You can rectify these errors Online or Offline.
- Online – Through the UIDAI Portal
If you have your mobile number registered with your aadhar number, you can easily update the information by yourself. If the mobile number is not linked with the aadhaar, you need to visit the nearest aadhar enrolment center.
Here is a stepwise guide to make changes in aadhaar through UIDAI portal: –
- Log in to the official website of UIDAI at https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/ssup-home#/
- Now enter your aadhaar number and the captcha code. You will then receive an OTP on your mobile number.
- Once you enter that OTP, you will be able to select the data fields that you need to update such as Name, Date of birth, Address, Mobile Number, Gender, and Email ID.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and enter the updated details.
- Then you will be asked to upload the self-attested copies of the required documents.
- Once you have completed the process, you will get a URN which can be used to check the aadhar URN status online.
If you do not have access to the internet, you can get the changes done at your nearest aadhaar enrolment centre. You will get the URN which can be used to check the application status online.
- Offline – Through Post
If there is no internet access, you can update the aadhaar details through the post. Get the aadhaar update form from the nearest aadhar centre. Fill it up with the details and send to the respective authority through the post. Make sure to attach the self-attested copies of the documents. You can send to any of the following addresses: –
- UIDAI Post Box No. 10, Chhindwara, M.P – 480 001
- UIDAI post box no. 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 34.
aadhar data is used by the government as well as private entities to verify your details and complete important process. So, make sure that you keep the aadhaar information up to date at all times.