Aadhaar contains a 12-digit number generated based on factors such as demographic and biometric data specific to each individual. The statutory body for Aadhaar is The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), Government of India. UIDAI was established in 2016 with a mission to provide good, efficient and transparent governance to the people of India.
|Name Of Aadhaar Issuing Authority||Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)|
|Aadhaar Customer Care Number||1947|
|Inception of Aadhaar Card||September 2010|
|Validity Of Aadhaar Card||Life Time|
|Number Of Enrolment Centers||More than 30,000|
|Number Of Enrolments||119 crore (approximate)|
Eligibility for Aadhaar
- Any resident of India (newborns/minors) is eligible for Aadhar card. While Adhaar card is for adults, Baal Aadhaar is for children below 5 years
- NRIs and Foreigners staying in India for more than 12 months are eligible for Aadhaar.
Documents for Aadhaar
Adhar requires two types of documents. Proof of address (POA) and Proof of Identity (POI). Any two of the following documents should meet the criteria
|Proof of identification (POI)||Proof of address (POA)|
|Certificate of Birth||Ration/PDS card|
|Voter identification card|
Cost for getting an Aadhaar card
The Aadhar enrollment is voluntary and free of cost for anyone.
How to Enrol for Aadhaar
You can enrol for Aadhaar in 3 simple steps
- Find an Aadhar enrolment centre by visiting the official website
- Fill the form with your details.
- Submit the required documents.
- Provide your biometrics (Fingerprint & Iris scan).
- Get the enrollment acknowledgement slip.
How to Enrol for Baal Aadhaar
A newborn/minors Adhar card is known as a ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card data. It is blue in colour and does not include the biometrics information like fingerprints and iris scan of the cardholder.
1. Visit UIDAI website and find nearest enrolment centre with a copy of the child’s birth certificate.
2. One of the child’s parent must compulsorily provide their Aadhaar card number for the purpose of authentication. Baal Aadhaar will be linked to the parents Aadhaar.
3. Fill up Baal Aadhaar application form with all relevant details along with a mobile number that you wish to register Baal Aadhaar with.
3. A photograph of the child/ minor will be taken. If the child is below 5years of age, no biometrics will be recorded.
4. After completing the above steps, collect the acknowledgements slip.
5. A verification SMS will be sent to the mobile number provided in the application form after which Baal Aadhar will be dispatched to the designated address.
How to Check Aadhaar Status
Log into the official UIDAI website, click on check Aadhaar status under the Adhar enrolment tab. Enter your enrolment number which is printed on the acknowledge slip to check the current status of your Aadhaar card.
How to Download/Print Aadhaar
If you have successfully enrolled for Aadhaar card but have not received the physical copy as yet. Now you can download and print the PDF version of Aadhaar card also known as e-Aadhaar form the Aadhaar website. This format is equally accepted everywhere.
Go to UIDAI website, click on download Aadhaar under the Aadhaar enrolment tab.
Aadhaar Card Verification
It is now possible to easily verify Aadhaar online by the following steps:
- Log on to the official UIDAI website
- Select the option – “Aadhaar services” on the page
- Select “Aadhaar Verification” present on the page
- Enter the 12 digits unique Aadhar number
- Enter the one-time password (OTP) that you will receive on your mobile
- Submit the application
If there is a mismatch in details, you can call UIADI toll free number – 1947 or visit UIDAI online.
How to Update/Edit Aadhaar?
The two main reasons to update Aadhaar details are:
- Change in Demographic data such as name, age, marital status
- Biometric Aadhaar data
To update details, a copy of the support document (POI/POA) is required. The update can be done by visiting the Aadhar Enrolment Centre or logging on to the UIDAI website to update Aadhaar online.
Do’s and Don’ts for Filling up Aadhaar update Form
- The form must be filled using only capital letters
- Fill in all the fields for updating
- Mobile number is compulsory for any updates to take place
- Fill the form in English and the local language used at the time of Adhar enrolment
- Make sure the form is filled only with current and relevant details
- Names must not have salutations such as Mr / Mrs / Ms / Dr
- Make sure that the full and complete address as the Aadhar card will be dispatched to that address
- Enter name clearly with signature or thumbprints when self-attesting supporting documents
- Attach relevant documents that support the required update only
- Incorrect information and lack of support documents will cause the application to be rejected
Lost Aadhaar card?
If you have lost/misplaced your Aadhaar card. Not to worry. You can get a duplicate Aadhar card by downloading the PDF/ e-Aadhaar online by visiting UIDAI website and accessing Adhar online services.
How long is the Aadhar card valid?
The Aadhaar card/number is valid for life.
Can Aadhaar card be made online?
No, Adhar enrolment is a one-time physical procedure that can be done at any Aadhaar enrolment centre. To find Aadhaar enrolment centre near you, visit UIDAI website and search Aadhaar enrolment centre.
Why do you need Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a unique identification number that enables each resident of India with the following:
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Access to Government Subsidy
- Eligibility to open and operate Bank Accounts
- Income Tax – Aadhaar is a mandatory requirement for processing and filing income tax returns
- Phone Connection
- Gas Connection
- Mutual Fund – Aadhaar Card is beneficial to complete e-KYC for mutual fund investments.
Aadhaar for e-KYC (Know Your Customer)
Aadhaar Authentication is a method of verification where Adhar details of an individual are submitted to UIDAI and cross verified to enable cardholders to avail services and benefits from the service provider.
Aadhaar for e-KYC is a large service requirement from many service providers and has huge benefits for the user and government as well.
Here’s why :
- Paperless– The e-KYC process is paperless enabling a service provider do manage documents easily and efficiently.
- Quick – The Aadhaar card holder can share information with a service provider through a secure channel within minutes, thus eliminating long waiting periods that physical documents would normally require.
- Secure – UIDAI shares only tamper-proof digital documents through secured channels, thereby protecting the holder’s information. These documents cannot be forged either can it be used without consent of both the service provider or Aadhaar holder.
- Consent-based – UIDAI shares information with a service provider only after UIDAI receives explicit consent from the Aadhaar holder in the form of a biometric or OTP acknowledgement.
- Authorised – Information shared by UIDAI contains authenticated data making it legal and acceptable for the parties involved in the transaction.
- Cost Friendly – The entire system is paperless and online eliminating physical movement of information making it a cost-effective and time-saving process.
Plastic/PVC Aadhaar card
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has made an official statement informing all Aadhaar card holders to avoid making plastic/PVC Aadhaar cards. These cards are not recognised as most often the QR code becomes dysfunctional due to printing errors.
UIDAI reconfirms that original Aadhaar card issued or downloaded versions of Aadhaar printed on ordinary paper or mAadhaar are valid and people should avoid the so-called “Aadhaar smart card”
Other Important Links