1. Aadhaar Card Overview
Aadhaar contains a 12-digit number generated based on factors such as demographic and biometric data specific to each individual. The statutory body for Aadhar is The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), Government of India. UIDAI was established in 2016 with a mission to provide good, efficient and transparent governance to the people of India. It has the following components.
|Name Of Aadhaar Issuing Authority
||Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
|Aadhaar Customer Care Number
|Inception of Aadhaar Card
|Validity Of Aadhaar Card
|Number Of Enrolment Centers
||More than 30,000
|Number Of Enrolments
||119 crore (approximate)
2. Aadhaar Eligibility
- Any resident of India (newborns/minors) is eligible for Aadhar card. While Adhaar card is for adults, Baal Adhaar is for children below 5 years
- NRIs and Foreigners staying in India for more than 12 months are eligible for Aadhar.
3. Documents for Aadhaar
Adhar requires two types of documents – Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Identity (POI). Any two of the following documents should meet the criteria
|Proof of identification (POI)
||Proof of address (POA)
|Certificate of Birth
||Voter identification card
4. How to Enrol for:
You can enrol for Adhaar in 3 simple steps
- Find an Aadhar enrolment centre by visiting the official website
- Fill the form with your details
- Submit the required documents
- Provide your biometrics (Fingerprint & Iris scan)
- Get the enrollment acknowledgement slip
- The Aadhar enrollment is voluntary and free of cost for anyone
b. Baal Aadhaar
A newborn/minor Adhar card is known as a ‘Baal Aadhar’ card data. It is blue in colour and does not include the biometrics information like fingerprints and iris scan of the cardholder, unlike the card for adults.
- Visit UIDAI website and find the nearest enrolment centre with a copy of the child’s birth certificate
- One of the child’s parent must compulsorily provide their Aadhaar card number for the purpose of authentication. Baal Aadhar will be linked to the parents Adhaar
- Fill up Baal Aadhar application form with all relevant details along with a mobile number that you wish to register Baal Adhaar with
- A photograph of the child/ minor will be taken. If the child is below 5 years of age, no biometrics will be recorded
- After completing the above steps, collect the acknowledgment slip
- A verification SMS will be sent to the mobile number provided in the application form, after which Baal Aadhar will be dispatched to the designated address
5. Check Aadhaar Status
Log into the official UIDAI website, click on check Adhaar status under the Aadhaar enrolment tab. Enter your enrolment number which is printed on the acknowledge slip to check the current status of your Aadhaar card.
6. Download/Print Aadhaar
If you have successfully enrolled for Aadhaar card but have not received the physical copy as yet. Now you can download and print the PDF version of Adhaar card also known as e-Aadhaar form the Aadhaar website. This format is equally accepted everywhere.
Go to UIDAI website, to download your Aadhaar.
7. Aadhaar Card Verification
It is now possible to easily verify Aadhaar online by the following steps:
Step 1: Log on to the official UIDAI website
Step 2: Select the option – “Aadhaar services” on the page
Step 3: Select “Aadhaar Verification” present on the page
Step 4: Enter the 12 digits unique Aadhar number
Step 5: Enter the one-time password (OTP) that you will receive on your mobile
Step 6: Submit the application
If there is a mismatch in details, you can call UIADI toll free number – 1947 or visit UIDAI online.
8. How to Update/Edit Aadhaar?
The two main reasons to update Aadhar details are:
To update details, a copy of the support document (POI/POA) is required. The update can be done by visiting the Aadhar Enrolment Centre or logging on to the UIDAI website to update Aadhaar online.
- Change in Demographic data such as name, age, marital status
- Biometric Aadhaar data
9. Aadhaar Virtual ID
Aadhaar Virtual ID is the alternative to Aadhaar number. This virtual ID is a temporary code which consists of a 16 digit numeric number that is generated against an Aadhaar number. Bear in mind that the virtual ID under no situation can be used to retrieve the original Aadhar card. Only one virtual ID is generated against an Aadhaar number and It can be generated as many times as the user wants.
10. Frequently Asked Questions
a. Do’s and Don’ts for Filling up Aadhaar update Form
- The form must be filled using only capital letters
- Fill in all the fields for updating
- Mobile number is compulsory for any updates to take place
- Fill the form in English and the local language used at the time of Adhar enrolment
- Make sure the form is filled only with current and relevant details
- Names must not have salutations such as Mr / Mrs / Ms / Dr
- Make sure that the full and complete address as the Aadhar card will be dispatched to that address
- Enter name clearly with signature or thumbprints when self-attesting supporting documents
- Attach relevant documents that support the required update only
- Incorrect information and lack of support documents will cause the application to be rejected
b. What to do if you lose your Aadhaar card?
If you have lost/misplaced your Adhaar card. Not to worry. You can get a duplicate Aadhar card by downloading the PDF/ e-Aadhaar online by visiting UIDAI website and accessing Adhar online services.
c. For how long is the Aadhar card valid?
The Aadhaar card/number is valid for life.
d. Can Aadhaar card be made online?
No, Adhar enrolment is a one-time physical procedure that can be done at any Aadhaar enrolment centre. To find Aadhar enrolment centre near you, visit UIDAI website and search Aadhaar enrolment centre.
e. What is the purpose of having an Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar is a unique identification number that enables each resident of India with the following:
- Proof of Identity
- Proof of Address
- Access to Government Subsidy
- Eligibility to open and operate Bank Accounts
- Income Tax – Adhaar is a mandatory requirement for processing and filing income tax returns
- Phone Connection
- Gas Connection
- Mutual Fund – Aadhaar Card is beneficial to complete e-KYC for mutual fund investments
f. Aadhaar for e-KYC (Know Your Customer)
Aadhar Authentication is a method of verification where Adhar details of an individual are submitted to UIDAI and cross verified to enable cardholders to avail services and benefits from the service provider.
Adhaar for e-KYC is a large service requirement from many service providers and has huge benefits for the user and government as well.
Here’s why :
- Paperless: The e-KYC process is paperless enabling a service provider do manage documents easily and efficiently
- Quick: The Aadhar card holder can share information with a service provider through a secure channel within minutes, thus eliminating long waiting periods that physical documents would normally require
- Secure: UIDAI shares only tamper-proof digital documents through secured channels, thereby protecting the holder’s information. These documents cannot be forged either can it be used without the consent of both the service provider or Aadhaar holder
- Consent based: UIDAI shares information with a service provider only after UIDAI receives explicit consent from the Aadhar holder in the form of a biometric or OTP acknowledgement
- Authorised: Information shared by UIDAI contains authenticated data making it legal and acceptable for the parties involved in the transaction
- Cost Friendly: The entire system is paperless and online eliminating physical movement of information making it a cost-effective and time-saving process
g. What is Plastic/PVC Aadhaar card?
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has made an official statement informing all Aadhaar cardholders to avoid making plastic/PVC Adhaar cards. These cards are not recognised as most often the QR code becomes dysfunctional due to printing errors.
UIDAI reconfirms that original Aadhaar card issued or downloaded versions of Aadhaar printed on ordinary paper or mAadhaar are valid and people should avoid the so-called “Adhaar smart card”.
Related articles on Aadhaar:
Easy and Accurate ITR Filing on ClearTax
File in 7 Mins | Minimal Data Entry | 100% Paperless