The Government launched the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) initiative on 22nd January 2015 in Haryana. The objective is to do away with the discrimination against girl child and provide equal opportunities. The reason for launching the same is that the Census (2011) showed a declining trend in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR) in the age group 0-6 years which indicated a low sex ratio at birth and the discrimination post-birth (in the form of health, nutrition, educational needed).
The mindset of people of discriminating against girls and preference of boys on one hand and availability, and misuse of diagnostic tools, on the other hand, have been critical in declining CSR. Coordinated and convergent efforts were needed for the survival, protection and empowerment of girl child and hence the BBBP is a tri-ministerial effort of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Human Resource Development and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Objective of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative
The main objectives of the BBBP initiative are:
- To prevent sex-selective elimination that is gender-biased.
- To protect the girl child and give her an equal chance of survival.
- To confirm education and participation of the girl child.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative Implementation
- In the first phase, 100 districts have been identified as per the Census of 2011 having low Child Sex Ratio with the aim to cover at least one district in each State. The criteria for selection are:
- Districts below the national average.
- Districts showing declining trends but above the national average.
- Districts showing an increasing trend and above the national average are selected so that the CSR can be maintained and other districts can emulate and learn from their experiences.
- In the second phase, further addition of 61 districts from 11 States/UT’s having CSR below 918 has been covered.
- In March 2018, this initiative was extended to 640 districts, which is Pan India expansion.
Chosen Audience Under the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative
- Primary – Young married couples, pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Secondary – Diagnostic centers, private hospitals, nursing homes, in-laws, young boys and girls, medical doctors/practitioners.
- Tertiary – Frontline workers, religious leaders, media, medical associations, voluntary organisations.
Strategies of the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative
- To create equal value for the girl child and promote her education through the implementation of sustained Social Mobilization and Communication Campaign
- Present the issue of decline in CSR/SRB (Sex Ratio at Birth) in public discourse, improvement of this will be an indicator of good governance
- Intensive and integrated action focusing on Gender Critical Districts and Cities low on CSR
- Implement innovative interventions/actions by the districts as per their local needs, sensibilities and context
- Train Panchayati Raj Institutions/ Grassroot workers/Urban local bodies as catalysts for social change in association with local community/youth groups/women
- Associate with communities to challenge social norms and gender stereotypes
- Ensure service delivery structures/initiatives and programmes are adequately responsive to issues of gender and children’s rights.
- Warrant inter-sectoral and inter-institutional convergence at various levels
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative Constituents
A nationwide campaign was launched for celebrating the Girl Child under this initiative. This campaign is also to enable the education of Girl Child. The campaign was directed towards abolishing the discrimination against girl child and provide an equal opportunity to be born, nurtured, and educated. A complete media approach is being adopted to create awareness and disseminate information about the issue across the nation.
Multi-Sectoral Intervention in selected Districts worse on CSR
The multi-sectoral action in selected 405 districts (inclusive of existing 161) covering all States/UTs will concentrate on sectoral actions and schematic intervention in dialogue with the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and Ministry of Human Resource Development.
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative Administration
The central government will provide 100% assistance for implementing the BBBP initiative to the District Collectors. For the administration and budgetary control of this initiative in the Central Government, the Ministry of Women and Child Development, will be responsible.
For the State, the Secretary, Department of Women and Child Development will be responsible for the overall direction and implementation of the initiative. The nodal officer for the implementation of the initiative will be the DPO (District Probation Officer). The implementation of the initiative will be through the ‘Integrated Child Development Services’ platform at various levels in convergence with the Education, Health and Panchayati Raj Ministry.
Achievable Goals of Beti the Bachao, Beti Padhao Initiative
The BBBP initiative has goals that are laid out and monitored as follows:
- In selected gender critical districts, the Sex Ratio at Birth to be improved by 2 points in a year
- At least 1.5% increase per year in Institutional Deliveries and 1 % increase per year in 1st Trimester ANC (Antenatal Care) Registration
- Facilitate functional toilets for girls in every school in selected districts
- Reduce the number of anaemic and underweight girls below the age of 5 by improving nutrition status
- Promote a protective environment for girl children
- Train elected representatives to mobilise communities for improving CSR and girl child education.
The Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao initiative also has a social media presence that is a Youtube channel to create awareness about the issue. In addition to this, the same has been launched on the MyGov platform to seek active participation and make the initiative a grand success.
Get an expert at affordable price
For ITR, GST returns, Company Registration, Trademark Registration, GST Registration