Can You Claim Both HRA & Deduction on Home Loan Interest?

By Mohammed S Chokhawala


Updated on: Jul 12th, 2024


2 min read

Yes, you can claim both HRA (House Rent Allowance) and deduction on home loan interest in India under certain conditions. This can be beneficial for taxpayers who are paying rent and also have a home loan.

Conditions for claiming both HRA and home loan interest deduction:

  • You must be a salaried individual receiving HRA as part of your salary.
  • You must be residing in a rented accommodation in the same city where you work.
  • You must have availed a home loan for a property in your own name or jointly with your spouse.

Homeowners, who are paying back their home loan and getting HRA as part of their salary, can avail both the house property-related tax benefits to lower their taxable income. There can be cases where you work in one city and live on rent, your family resides in another city, and you buy a home where your family is. A homeowner can claim:

  • HRA exemption towards rent payment
  • Deduction on home loan interest as per Section 24
  • Principal Repayment under Section 80C
  • Section 80EEA

Note: Taxpayers paying taxes under the Old Tax Regime are eligible to claim the above exemptions/ deductions.

Read more about home loan-related tax benefits on our guide

Here’s an example: Aryan lives in Gurgaon and pays a rent of Rs 10,000 per month; he gets an HRA of Rs 15,000. His basic salary is Rs 40,000. Aryan has taken a loan to buy a house in Bangalore where his parents currently live. The interest he pays on the loan for his house is Rs 20,000 per month.

Aryan can claim HRA as follows – The amount of tax exemption from HRA will be a minimum of these three:

  • HRA received = Rs. 15,000
  • 40% of Basic since he lives in Gurgaon = Rs. 16,000
  • Rent paid – 10% of Basic = Rs.10,000 – Rs. 4,000 = Rs. 6,000

Therefore HRA exempt = Rs.6,000. Remaining HRA of Rs 15,000 – Rs 6,000 = Rs.9,000 will form part of his taxable income under Salaries on account of HRA.

Use the HRA calculator to determine HRA exempt from tax

The income from house property and claiming interest on home loan deduction will be allowed as follows: 

Gross Annual Value of the property is Nil(because his parents live in the house property) 
Less: Deduction on Interest on home loan = Rs 2,00,000 (limited to Rs.2,00,000 for self-occupied house) 
Net Loss under the head ‘Income from House Property’ = (-) Rs 2,00,000 which will be added to his taxable income.

Learn more about loss on house property due to home loan.

Certain Cases Where You Cannot Claim HRA Exemption or Deduction on  Home Loan Interest



You have availed a home loan for which you are paying interest & reside in the same house, and you are also earning HRA as part of your salary income.

You may avail of the benefit of the deduction for the interest paid on the loan, but you cannot claim exemption for HRA as you have not incurred expenditure towards rent.

You have a self-owned house property  & you reside in a rented accommodation in the same city.  

You cannot claim HRA exemption unless the reason is your employment being far from the place of your house property or any such genuine reason.

Can't get yourself started on taxes?
Get a Cleartax expert to handle all your tax filing start-to-finish

Frequently Asked Questions

I have my house property in Chennai which is let out and I live in a different house in Chennai and pay rent for that. Can I Claim HRA exemption ?

No, you cannot claim an HRA exemption if you are living in a different house in the same city and own a house in the same city. Still, you can claim the benefit, only if you can substantiate with a valid reason for your stay, one of the reasons could be that the place of work is far from the house you own, it is necessary to stay in a rented house to ease the commutation.

Can you claim both the HRA tax benefit and Home Loan tax deductions if you are staying in a house bought on loan and you work in the same city?

You can claim HRA if you receive it as a part of your compensation. However, you need to reside in a rented accommodation to claim HRA. As you are staying at the house, you have availed on a home loan, and you work in the same city, you cannot claim HRA tax benefit. However, you can claim the income tax deduction on the home loan for principal and interest payments as you have taken ownership of the property.

You have a house in the same city, but that house is being resided by your husband’s parents. You are residing at another house on rent. Can you get the HRA tax benefit and home loan tax deductions?

You are a salaried employee who receives HRA as part of your compensation, and you reside at a rented accommodation in the same city where you work. Moreover, you have availed of a home loan to buy a ready to move house in the same city, and your in-laws reside in this house. You can claim both the HRA tax benefit and home loan tax deductions.  

Can you claim HRA tax exemption and deduction on home loan interest as well?

Yes, you can claim HRA tax exemption and home loan tax deduction as well if you meet certain conditions.


Can you claim HRA tax exemption and Home Loan Tax Deduction
You have availed a house on loan and you reside at a rented accommodation in another cityYes

You have availed a house on loan and you reside in the same city in a rented accommodation due to work or children’s schooling


Provided the condition is genuine.
You have availed a home loan to buy an under construction apartment/house and you live on rent elsewhereYes

You can claim only the home loan interest deduction in case of under-construction property over five years in equal instalments starting from the year the construction is completed.

You rent the house you have availed with a home loan and you live in a rented accommodation elsewhere
You will have to show rental receipts from your own house to calculate income tax liability. 
About the Author

I'm a chartered accountant, well-versed in the ins and outs of income tax, GST, and keeping the books balanced. Numbers are my thing, I can sift through financial statements and tax codes with the best of them. But there's another side to me – a side that thrives on words, not figures. Read more

Clear offers taxation & financial solutions to individuals, businesses, organizations & chartered accountants in India. Clear serves 1.5+ Million happy customers, 20000+ CAs & tax experts & 10000+ businesses across India.

Efiling Income Tax Returns(ITR) is made easy with Clear platform. Just upload your form 16, claim your deductions and get your acknowledgment number online. You can efile income tax return on your income from salary, house property, capital gains, business & profession and income from other sources. Further you can also file TDS returns, generate Form-16, use our Tax Calculator software, claim HRA, check refund status and generate rent receipts for Income Tax Filing.

CAs, experts and businesses can get GST ready with Clear GST software & certification course. Our GST Software helps CAs, tax experts & business to manage returns & invoices in an easy manner. Our Goods & Services Tax course includes tutorial videos, guides and expert assistance to help you in mastering Goods and Services Tax. Clear can also help you in getting your business registered for Goods & Services Tax Law.

Save taxes with Clear by investing in tax saving mutual funds (ELSS) online. Our experts suggest the best funds and you can get high returns by investing directly or through SIP. Download Black by ClearTax App to file returns from your mobile phone.

Cleartax is a product by Defmacro Software Pvt. Ltd.

Company PolicyTerms of use


ISO 27001

Data Center


SSL Certified Site

128-bit encryption