Gather these documents to e-file your income tax returns in India. Go through this list to see the documents you’ll need to do your taxes. You won’t need all the documents listed here as they vary on a case-by-case basis.
- PAN number
For Salaried Employees
- Form-16 issued by your employer
Documents related to interest income
- Bank statement/passbook for interest on savings account.
- Interest income statement for fixed deposits.
- TDS certificate issued by banks and others.
Form 26AS is a summary of taxes deducted on your behalf and taxes paid by you. This is provided by the Income Tax Department.
It shows details of tax deducted on your behalf by deductors, details on tax deposited by taxpayers and tax refund received in the financial year. This form can be accessed from the I-T Department’s website.
Learn how to access your Form 26AS
Section 80 Investments
- Section 80C investment documents. Investment made under PPF, NSC, ULIPS, ELSS, LIC qualify for deductions under Section 80C.
Keep these documents at hand to claim the following expenses as deductions –
- Your contribution to Provident Fund
- Your children’s school tution fees
- Life insurance premium payment
- Stamp-duty and registration charges
- Principal repayment on your home loan
- Equity Linked Savings Scheme/Mutual funds investment
The maximum amount that can be claimed under Section 80C has been changed to Rs.1,50,000 in FY 2014-15 from Rs.1,00,000 in FY 2013-14.
Click here to see the detailed list of all the deductions available under Section 80.
To know more about how to claim deductions against your home loan, Click here.
Other Investment Documents
- Interest paid on housing loan. Interest on housing loan is eligible for tax saving upto Rs 2,00,000. This is for a self-occupied house. For let out or deemed let out property, there is no limit of interest on housing loan eligible for tax saving till FY 2016-17. From FY 2017-18, Interest on housing loan is eligible for tax saving upto Rs 2,00,000 for let out property as well.
- Education loan interest payments.
- Stock trading statement. The stock trades that were made during the year may be taxed under Capital Gain.