Invest in Mutual funds via BLACK APP



Looking for a business loan


Thank you for your interest, our team will get back to you shortly

Please Fill the Details to download

Thank you for your response

Get Expert Assistance

Thank you for your response

Our representative will get in touch with you shortly.

Filing ITR is incomplete without e-verification.
e-Verify your returns NOW!
e-verify here
Late filers can click here to finish filing their ITRs. File now.

How to e-File your Tax Returns without a Form-16

Updated on :  

08 min read.

The first step to filing tax returns as a salaried individual is to obtain your Form 16 from your employer. Take a look here to know what is Form 16 before you proceed. It is the obligation of the employer to provide a Form 16 to all employees. In the rare chance that your employer did not provide you with a Form 16 to you, don’t fear; you can still e-File your returns yourself. ClearTax shows you how! Your Form-16 is basically a TDS Certificate that lists your Taxable Income and TDS.

You can still calculate that without the Form-16. Here’s how you do it:

  1. Collect your payslips and figure out your Taxable Income
  2. Your Tax Credit / 26-AS will help you find the exact Tax Deducted
  3. Renting? Don’t lose out on HRA if you’re eligible
  4. Claim your Deductions
  5. Income from other sources
  6. Pay additional tax if necessary
  7. Finally, File your Income Tax Return

Collect your payslips and figure out your Taxable Income

Put together the net salary from all the payslips you have received from your employer in the financial year. If you have switched one or more jobs in a financial year, make sure you include payslips from all employers you have worked for in the year.

Your Tax Credit / 26-AS will help you find the exact Tax Deducted

Calculate the TDS deducted by your employer over the year and match the amount mentioned on your Form 26AS. Click here to learn how to download your Form 26AS. If you see a discrepancy in the TDS amount actually deducted and the amount that is supposed to be deducted, contact your employer immediately and ask them to rectify the error.

Renting? Don’t lose out on HRA if you’re eligible

Many employees have a House Rent Allowance (HRA) component in their salary. To claim the HRA deduction, you must submit your rent receipts to your payroll department in advance. If you haven’t submitted the receipts to your employer, you can always claim it while filing. If you are unsure how to calculate HRA, just contact ClearTax and Tax Experts can help you out.

Claim your Deductions

A number of investments are tax deductible. Keep your investment documents handy and compute the amounts eligible for deduction under sections 80C (Life Insurance, Employee Provident Fund, Public Provident Fund etc.), 80D (Medical insurance premium), 80E (Interest on education loan) etc. While claiming deduction for Provident Fund, make sure you claim only your contribution to the PF, and not your employers’ contribution. Click here to read about the various deductions you can avail.

Income from other sources

If you earn an income from any source other than your salaried job, do not forget to include it under taxable income. Such sources of income can include interest earned on Fixed Deposits, income from rent on property owned by you etc.

Pay additional tax if necessary

If you find that the total tax paid by you in the financial year is less than what is actually payable as per the Form 26AS, pay the variance online. Learn how to pay tax online.

Finally, file your Income Tax Return

After you have ensured that the taxes paid by you match the taxes payable by you, go on to file your returns online. ClearTax is the easiest way to e-File your Tax Returns online.

inline CTA
File your returns in just 3 minutes
100% pre-fill. No manual data entry
Hide →