Now that you have paid tax deducted to the account of Central Government, what if there is any inadvertent mistake while making payment such as choosing wrong assessment year, choosing wrong major head code, entering the wrong amount, wrong PAN / TAN etc and challan is already generated?. Such errors lead to no tax credit situation for the deductee. But do not panic. Tax department does understand that such clerical errors are unavoidable completely and has provided for mechanism to correct such errors. Let us understand the procedure for correction of errors in TDS challan.
Challan correction can be carried out either online or offline.
1. TDS Challan correction offline – Physical challan
A new challan correction mechanism for correction of physical challans has been prescribed for payments made on or after 1st September 2011.We have provided below list of challan corrections that can be carried out and who is authorised for such correction:
|SI No.||Fields in which correction to be made||Authority to correct||Time limit for correction through bank|
|1||PAN/TAN||Concerned assessing officer in case of online challans.
Collecting bank* / assessing officer in case of physical challan
|Within 7 days from challan deposit date|
|2||Assessment Year||Within 7 days from challan deposit date|
|3||Major Head code||Within 3 months from challan deposit date|
|4||Minor Head code||Within 3 months from challan deposit date|
|5||Nature of payment||Within 3 months from challan deposit date|
|6||Total Amount||Within 7 days from challan deposit date|
|7||Name||Concerned assessing officer in case of both online and physical challans||NA|
*Challan correction by the bank is subject to following conditions:
- Name correction cannot be carried out by the bank
- Any combination of correction of Minor Head and Assessment Year together is not allowed
- PAN/TAN correction will be allowed only when name in the challan matches with the name as per the new PAN/TAN
- The change of amount is permitted only when the amount so corrected is not different from the amount actually received by the bank and credited to Government Account
- Correction is allowed only once for a single challan for a particular field. Multiple corrections of single challan of different fields are allowed. For eg: Where 1st correction request is made only for amount, a 2nd correction request will be allowed for correction in other fields.
- There will be no partial acceptance of change correction request, i.e. either all the requested changes will be allowed, if they pass the validation, or no change will be allowed, if any one of the changes fails the validation test
Procedure to approach bank for challan correction
- The taxpayer has to submit the request form for correction (in duplicate) to the concerned bank branch
- The taxpayer has to attach copy of original challan counterfoil
- In case of non-individual taxpayers, the original authorization with seal of the non-individual taxpayer is required to be attached with the request form.
- A separate request form is to be submitted for each challan
Procedure to approach Assessing Officer for challan correction
After the time limit to approach bank for challan correction expires, taxpayer can make a request for correction to the concerned assessing officer, who is authorized under the OLTAS application to make such correction in challan data in bonafide cases, to enable credit of the taxes paid, to the concerned taxpayer. Other steps are similar to approaching bank as above.
Format of application for challan correction
2. TDS Challan correction online
Online correction of TDS challan has to be carried out on ‘TRACES’ (TDS Reconciliation Analysis and Correction Enabling System). Digital Signature is mandatory to register on TRACES for requesting online challan correction.
Steps for online correction on TRACES is as follows:
- Login to TRACES website with user ID, password and TAN
- Under defaults, choose ‘Request for correction’
- Enter relevant Financial Year, Quarter, Form Type whether, Latest Accepted Token number. Correction category should be “Online” and click on ‘Submit’
- A request number will be generated
- Click on ‘Go To Track Correction Request’ under Defaults again and enter Request number or Request period and click on ‘View Request’ or you can also click on ‘View All Requests’
- When request status** becomes ‘Available’ click on Available / In progress status to proceed with the correction
- Provide information of valid KYC
- Select the type of correction category from the drop down as ‘Challan Correction’
- Make the required corrections in the selected file
- Click on ‘Submit for Processing’ to submit your correction
- 15 digits token number will be generated and mailed to registered e-mail ID
** Status of correction request can be any of the following:
|Requested||When the user submits a request for correction|
|Initiated||Request is being processed by TDS CPC|
|Available||Request for correction is accepted and the statement is made available for correction. The user can start correction on the statement. Clicking on the hyperlink will take the user to validation screen. Once user clicks on request with ‘Available’ status, status of request/statement will change to ‘In Progress’|
|Failed||Request cannot be made available due to a technical error. User can re-submit request for same details|
|In Progress||User is working on a statement. Clicking on the hyperlink will take user to validation screen|
|Submitted to Admin User:||Sub-user / Admin User has submitted correction statement to Admin User|
|Submitted to ITD||Admin User has submitted correction statement to ITD for processing|
|Processed||Statement has been processed by TDS CPC (either for Form 26AS or for defaults)|
|Rejected||Statement has been rejected by TDS CPC after processing. Rejection reasons will be displayed in ‘Remarks’ column|