1. What is an e-PAN and How to Apply For It?The Indian Income Tax Department recently introduced the ePAN card. It is the instant allotment of PAN to first time taxpayers. This has been done after an increase in the number of people applying for PANs. It is important to note, that it will not be allotted to a person who already holds a PAN. Currently, eNPA is only being issued to individual taxpayers. This facility is free of cost and is available only for a limited period of time. ePAN will be issued on a first-come-first-serve basis.
2. Who can Apply For an e-PAN?To apply for an ePAN card, you must fulfil the following criteria:
- You must be an Indian resident;
- You must be an Individual taxpayer (i.e. not a company or a HUF);
- You must not already hold a PAN;
- You must have an Aadhaar Card;
- You must have an active mobile phone number linked with your Aadhaar; and
- Your Aadhaar must have your updated and correct details
3. Step by Step Procedure to Apply for an e-PAN
Step 1: Visit the Income Tax India e-Filing website and click on ‘Apply Instant e-PAN’
Step 2: You will be redirected to a page laying down all the guidelines for the application of an e-PAN. After going through the guidelines click on ‘Next’.
Easy and Accurate ITR Filing on ClearTax
File in 7 Mins | Minimal Data Entry | 100% Paperless
Step 3: Provide all the details exactly as per your Aadhaar Card. Check the acknowledgement box and click on submit.
Step 4: Once all the details have been entered, the process for application of e-PAN is initiated. To complete the application, the applicant must sign on a blank paper and scan it with the following specifications:– Resolution: 200 DPI – Type: Color – File Type: JPEG – Size: 10 KB (Max) – Dimensions: 2 cm x 4.5 cm
Step 5: Post attaching the scanned copy, the electronic application is complete. You will receive a 15 digit acknowledgement number on your email ID or mobile number mentioned on your application. Once the e-PAN has been allotted, you will receive an alert by SMS or email.
Step 6: To check the status of your e-PAN application, follow the link and click on Check Application Status.
The Income Tax Department has temporarily discontinued the e-PAN facility and plans to roll out a full scale production version in the future.