1. Manner of Opting for Quarterly FilingA registered person who intends to file his GSTR-3B quarterly should indicate his preference electronically, on the common portal, from the 1st of the second month of the preceding quarter until the last day of the first month of the quarter for which such option is being exercised. For example: If Mr X wishes to file quarterly returns for the quarter of Jan-Mar 2021, he should opt for quarterly filing on the common GST portal between 1st November 2020 and 31st January 2021. Once the registered person has opted for quarterly filing, he will have to continue to furnish his return every quarter for all future tax periods, except in the following situations:
- He becomes ineligible for furnishing a quarterly return as per the conditions and restrictions notified in this regard (for example, if his aggregate turnover crosses Rs.5 crore during a quarter, then from the next quarter he will not be able to file quarterly returns).
- He opts for furnishing of return every month, electronically, on the common portal.
2. Payment of Taxes By Taxpayers Who Have Opted to File GSTR-3B QuarterlyFrom 1st January 2021, registered persons who have opted to file their GSTR-3B returns quarterly, are required to pay the taxes due monthly by depositing an amount in the electronic cash ledger that is equivalent to:
- 35% of the tax liability that was paid in the previous quarter – in cases where the GSTR-3B has been furnished quarterly.
- The total tax liability paid for the last month of the immediately preceding quarter – in cases where the return has been furnished monthly.
3. Deemed Monthly/Quarterly Filing of GSTR-3BIn the case of registered persons falling in the categories specified in the table below, who have furnished their GSTR-3B return for October 2020 by 30th November 2020, it shall be deemed that they have opted for monthly or quarterly filing as detailed below-
|Sl. No.||Class of Registered Persons||Deemed Option|
|1||Registered persons with an aggregate turnover of up to Rs.1.5 crore, who have furnished Form GSTR-1 quarterly in the current financial year||Quarterly return|
|2||Registered persons with an aggregate turnover of up to Rs.1.5 crore, who have furnished Form GSTR-1 monthly in the current financial year||Monthly return|
|3||Registered persons having an aggregate turnover exceeding Rs.1.5 crore and up to Rs.5 crore in the preceding financial year||Quarterly return|
4. Due Dates to File GSTR-3BThe due dates filing GSTR-3B for quarterly filers has been notified as follows:
|GST Registration in States and Union Territories||Due Date|
|Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman and Diu, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Goa, Lakshadweep, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh||22nd of the month succeeding such quarter|
|Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Chandigarh, Uttarakhand, Haryana, Delhi, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam, West Bengal, Jharkhand and Odisha||24th of the month succeeding such quarter|