The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) regulates and monitors all food businesses in India. It ensures that all Food Business Operators (FBOs) manufacture or sell food products having the required quality checks, thus curtailing the manufacture or sale of adulterated food or sub-standard products.
Food Safety and Standards (FSS) Act, 2006 contains the rules that all FBOs must follow. All FBOs carrying on business in India must obtain FSSAI registration/license for running their businesses. As per the FSS Regulation, 2011, all FBOs involved in the process of manufacturing, storage, transportation or distribution of food products should mandatorily obtain an FSSAI registration/license.
Types of FSSAI Registration
The types of FSSAI registration depend on the size of the food business. The following are the FSSAI registration types:
FSSAI Basic Registration: Food businesses with an annual turnover below Rs.12 lakh must apply for FSSAI Basic Registration. The FBOs operating in Tamil Nadu can get FSSAI Basic Registration from the designated officer notified by the Commissioner of Food Safety Tamil Nadu.
FSSAI State License: Food businesses with an annual turnover of above Rs.12 lakh but below 20 crores should apply for an FSSAI State License. Small to medium-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, distributors, marketers, etc., can apply for the FSSAI State License. FBOs can obtain Tamil Nadu FSSAI State License from the Office of the Commissioner of Food Safety Tamil Nadu.
FSSAI Central License: Food businesses whose annual turnover exceeds Rs.20 crore must apply for the FSSAI Central License. Large FBOs like importers, manufacturers, exporters, operators in airports, seaports, railways, central government, etc., can apply for the FSSAI Central License from the Central FSSAI authority.
FSSAI Registration Tamil Nadu
In Tamil Nadu, the Tamil Nadu Food Safety and Drug Administration Department grants the FSSAI Basic Registration and State FSSAI License. The registering authority is the body that gives the FSSAI Basic Registration. Registering authority means the food safety officer, designated officer, or any official in the Panchayat, municipal corporation, or any other local body notified by the Commissionerate of Food Safety Tamil Nadu.
The following FBOs operating in Tamil Nadu must apply for an FSSAI Basic Registration:
- Every small and petty FBO.
- FBOs collect, procure and handle up to 500 litres per day.
- Slaughtering units with up to 50 poultry birds, two large animals and ten small animals per day.
- Meat processing units with a turnover of up to Rs.12 lakh per annum.
- Distributors, retailers and wholesalers have a turnover of up to 12 lakh per annum.
- Every other food processing unit with up to 100 kg or litre per day.
The state licensing authority is responsible for issuing the State FSSAI License. State licensing authority means the designated officers appointed by the Commissionerate of Food Safety Tamil Nadu under the FSS Act. The following FBOs operating in Tamil Nadu must apply for a State FSSAI License:
- FBOs collect, handle and procure milk between 501 to 50,000 litres of milk per day.
- Slaughtering units with 51 to 1,000 poultry birds, 11 to 150 small animals or three to 50 large animals per day.
- Meat processing units with a processing capacity of up to 500 kg meat per day or 150 MT meat per annum.
- Distributors, retailers and wholesalers have a turnover of up to 20 crores per annum.
- Every other food processing unit with 101-2 MT kg or litre per day.
FSSAI Registration Online Tamil Nadu
The process to obtain FSSAI Basic Registration or FSSAI State License online is as follows:
- Visit the FoSCoS portal.
- Click on the option of ‘Apply License/Registration’ on the home page.
- Select the state as ‘Tamil Nadu’ from the dropdown list.
- Click on the applicable option – ‘Manufacturer’, ‘Trade/Retail’, or ‘Food Services’ as per the nature of the business.
- Select the applicable turnover or production capacity option. Click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Click on the option of – ‘Click here to apply for Registration for all businesses’ or the ‘Click here to apply for State License for all businesses’ on the next page.
- Fill the details in Form A or Form B, upload the documents and make payment. Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- The FSSAI registration application form will be submitted, and the FSSAI authorities will inspect it. They will issue the FSSAI Basic Registration or FSSAI State License when the applicant meets all the requirements of the FSS Act.
Documents Required for Tamil Nadu FSSAI Registration
Following are the documents that FBOs must submit for getting an FSSAI Basic Registration:
- Photo identity proof of the FBO.
- Address proof of business.
- Proof of possession of business premises.
- Business constitution certificate.
- Nature of business details.
- List of food products manufactured or processed.
Following are the documents that FBOs must submit to get an FSSAI State License:
- Form B is filled and signed by the applicant.
- Address proof of business.
- The layout of the processing unit.
- Proof of possession of business premises.
- Business constitution certificate.
- Name, record, horsepower used and installed capacity of machinery and equipment with the number.
- List and contact details of directors, partners or executive members of society or trust.
- ID and address proof of the proprietor, partners, directors or authorised signatory.
- Analysis report of water used in food from a recognised or public health laboratory.
- List of food items desired to be processed or manufactured.
- Authority letter from the manufacturer nominated the responsible person with name and address details.
- NOC from the manufacturer.
- Food safety management system plan or certificate.
FSSAI Certificate Tamil Nadu
An FSSAI Registration or FSSAI License Certificate in Tamil Nadu is issued by the respective FSSAI authorities only when the FBOs comply with the following conditions:
- They should grant the licensing authorities access to the business premises for inspection purposes.
- They should inform the concerned authorities of any changes in operations.
- They can only process the food products in their units as mentioned in the FSSAI registration/licence.
- They should maintain the standards of hygiene and sanitation as per the prescribed standards.
- They should use standardised raw materials with optimum quality.
- The business premises should be installed with a clean in place system for the cleaning of equipment and machines.
- FBOs involved in the sale of cooked food must display a notice board of the nature of articles sold.
- They should not engage in the distribution or sale or offer for dispatch, sale, or delivery of edible oil that is not marked, packed or labelled in the prescribed manner.
Fees for Tamil Nadu FSSAI Registration
The fee for FSSAI Basic Registration is Rs.100.
The fees for a State FSSAI License depend on the size of the business. The fees for State FSSAI License for different businesses are as follows:
- Manufacturer with a production capacity above 1MT per day or 10,001 to 50,000 litres of milk per day – Rs.5000.
- Manufacturer with a production capacity below 1 MT per day or 501 to 10,000 litres of milk per day – Rs.3000.
- Three and four-star hotels – Rs.5000.
- Food service providers, including canteens (schools, offices, colleges, institutions), clubs, banquet halls with food catering arrangements, restaurants/boarding houses, caterers, food vendors, etc. – Rs.2000.
- Other food business operators – Rs.2000.
- Distributors, retailers and wholesalers – Rs.2000.
FSSAI Renewal Tamil Nadu
The FSSAI licensing authorities grant the FSSAI registration/license for a period of 1 to 5 years, depending on the nature of the food business. Thus, all FBOs having FSSAI registration/license must renew it within the expiry of its validity period.
The FBOs must apply for FSSAI registration/license renewal before its expiry for running the food business. The FSSAI registration/license renewal is equally significant to obtaining the FSSAI registration. The FBOs should renew the FSSAI registration/license 120 days before its expiry date.
FBOs can apply for FSSAI registration/license renewal in Tamil Nadu either offline or online.
FSSAI Renewal Offline Tamil Nadu
- Visit the food safety officer-in-charge or designated officer.
- Obtain Form A or Form B as per the food business’s annual turnover.
- Fill in the details in Form A or Form B.
- Attach the documents and a self-attested declaration.
- Submit the form with the fees to the concerned authority.
- Upon receipt of the FSSAI renewal application, the food authorities will examine it.
- The food authorities can also inspect the food premises and check if the FBO has submitted the correct information.
- When the inspection officer is satisfied that the FBO has complied with the regulations, they will submit the inspection report to the FSSAI authorities.
- The FSSAI authorities will grant the FSSAI registration/license renewal when they are satisfied that the FBOs meet the FSS Act requirements.
- The FSSAI authorities must issue the FSSAI renewal license within 60 days. When the FBOs receive no response from the FSSAI authorities within 60 days, they can run the business without the renewal license.
FSSAI Renewal Online Tamil Nadu
- Go to the FoSCoS website.
- Click on the ‘Renewals Fee is same as of new license and registration’ option on the homepage.
- Enter the ‘License/Registration No.’, ‘Validity End Date’ and ‘Captcha’. Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- The FSSAI license/registration details will be displayed. Click on the ‘Proceed’ button.
- Form A or Form B will open. Fill out the form, upload the documents, select the years for which the license is required, and choose the payment method. Click on the ‘Save & Next’ button.
- After completing the payment, a receipt is generated with a 17-digit reference number.
- The FBOs can track the FSSAI renewal application status on the FoSCoS website through the 17-digit registration number.
The FSSAI Basic Registration is renewed within seven working days. The FSSAI State License will take 30 days to be renewed. However, FBOs can run their food businesses with the existing registration/license number when they have applied for renewal. The documents required to be submitted for renewal are the same as the documents to be submitted when applying for a new FSSAI registration/license.
An FSSAI registration/license is mandatory for an FBO planning to open a food business in Tamil Nadu. Running the food business without this registration can invite penal consequences.
Disclaimer: The materials provided herein are solely for information purposes. No attorney-client relationship is created when you access or use the site or the materials. The information presented on this site does not constitute legal or professional advice. It should not be relied upon for such purposes or used as a substitute for legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state.
Get an expert at affordable price
For ITR, GST returns, Company Registration, Trademark Registration, GST Registration