Looking for a business loan


Thank you for your interest, our team will get back to you shortly

Please Fill the Details to download

Thank you for your response

Get Expert Assistance

Thank you for your response

Our representative will get in touch with you shortly.

Get you Tax query Solved

Pick from the basket of various allied services:

  • Tax filing
  • GST Filing
  • Digital signature, Incorporate business etc.
Get Started

Get Expert Assistance

Thank You for sharing your details. Our experts will get in touch with you shortly

FSSAI Registration vs License

Updated on :  

08 min read.

The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulation, 2011, regulates the registration and licensing of food businesses in India.

All Food Business Operators (FBO) must have an FSSAI Registration or FSSAI license if they are involved in storing, manufacturing, distributing, or transportation of food products. FSSAI is the legal authority that issues FSSAI registration or license to all the food business operators in India based on their size and nature. 

FSSAI Registration

The petty FBO who manufacture or sell any food items, a hawker, petty retailer, itinerant vendor, temporary stall-holder or small-scale industries relating to food business who comply with the following conditions need to obtain an FSSAI registration certificate:

  • Annual turnover does not exceed Rs.12 lakh 
  • Production capacity of food products up to 100 litres or kg per day
  • Handling, procurement and collection of milk up to 500 litres per day
  • Slaughtering capacity of two large animals or ten small animals or 50 poultry birds per day 

FSSAI License

The FBO having medium and large scale food businesses, need to obtain an FSSAI license. They need to get the state license or the central license depending on the size of their business.

The medium-size processors, manufacturers, traders, marketers or transporters require the FSSAI state license from the state government. The FBO, having an annual turnover of more than Rs.12 lakh but not exceeding Rs.20 crore, is considered a medium-sized FBO and must obtain a state license. The FBO need to get a central license when their annual turnover crosses Rs.20 crore. 

A large-sized business processing, transporting, manufacturing and having international trade of food products need to obtain the FSSAI central license. The FBO having an annual turnover of more than Rs.20 crore, is considered a large business and must obtain an FSSAI central license from the Central Government.

Difference Between FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License

ParticularsFSSAI RegistrationFSSAI License
Turnover LimitBusinesses having an annual turnover not exceeding Rs.12 lakh.Businesses having an annual turnover of more than Rs.12 lakh.
TypesBasic Registration.FSSAI Central License and FSSAI State License. 
Size of BusinessPetty food business operators. Medium and large-sized food business operators and food businesses.
DurationDuration depends on the applicability of the registration.Issued for a period of a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years.
ApplicationForm AForm B
Fees for Registration/LicenseFixed at Rs.100 per year.It varies from Rs.2,000 to Rs.7,500 per year, depending on the criteria and type of license.
PublicationThe FSSAI registration should be displayed on the office premises, and the registered number should be displayed on the package of the product.The exporter, importer, traders and producers have to mandatorily publish the FSSAI license number on the package of the products.

Disclaimer: The materials provided herein are solely for information purposes. No attorney-client relationship is created when you access or use the site or the materials. The information presented on this site does not constitute legal or professional advice and should not be relied upon for such purposes or used as a substitute for legal advice from an attorney licensed in your state.

inline CTA
Get an expert at affordable price
For ITR, GST returns, Company Registration, Trademark Registration, GST Registration