1. What is GSTR-11?
GSTR-11 is the return to be filed by the persons who has been issued a Unique Identity Number(UIN) in order to get refund under GST for the goods and services purchased by them in India.
2. Who are Unique Identity Number(UIN) holders under GST Act?
Unique Identity Number is a special classification made for foreign diplomatic missions and embassies who are not liable to taxes in Indian territory.
The following organizations can apply for a UIN:
- A specialized agency of the United Nations Organization
- A Multilateral Financial Institution and Organization notified under the United Nations (Privileges and Immunities) Act, 1947,
- Consulate or Embassy of foreign countries
- Any other person or class of persons as notified by the Commissioner.
The above persons/organizations can apply for UIN using Form GST REG- 13.
Purpose of UIN
The purpose of issuing UIN is that any amount of tax collected from the bodies/person holding UIN is refunded back to them. But in order to claim the refund of GST paid by them, they need to file GSTR 11.
3. When is GSTR-11 due?
GSTR 11 must be filed by the 28th of the month following the month in which inward supply is received by the UIN holders. For instance if US embassy paid GST of Rs 45,000 on food, hotel etc during his stay in India for the month of August, 2017, then he must file return in GSTR 11 by 28th September, 2017 in order to claim refund of such taxes paid.
4. Details to be provided in GSTR 11?
GSTR-11 has total of 4 sections.
- UIN – UIN is a special identification number assigned to notified bodies by the GST administration as explained above. It should be filled in here.
- Name of the person having UIN – Under this head, the name of the person will get auto-populated at the time of filing return.
3. Details of inward supplies received – You need to provide here GSTIN number of the suppliers. On filling the GSTIN number, details will get auto populated from GSTR 1 return form. UIN holders cannot add/modify details here.
4. Refund amount – The refund amount will get auto calculated here. You need to provide the bank details for the credit of such refund into your bank account.
Once all the particulars are furnished correctly, the taxpayer is required to sign digitally either through a digital signature certificate (DSC) or Aadhaar based signature verification to authenticate the return.
To know more about the different types of returns, deadlines and the frequency of filing, read our article on GST Returns.
You can now create GST compliant invoices for FREE on ClearTax BillBook.