In some cases, the government has provided relaxations on the format in which invoice is to be issued by a supplier. Let us have a look at these situations.
Invoice to be issued by Input Service Distributor(ISD)
An invoice issued by an ISD or a credit note issued by an ISD shall contain details slightly different from the normal invoice formats.
- Name, address, and GSTIN of the Input Service Distributor
- serial number
- date of its issue
- name, address, and GSTIN of the recipient to whom the credit is distributed
- the amount of the credit distributed
- signature or digital signature of the Input Service Distributor or his authorised representative
Exception – In cases where the ISD is a banking company or a financial institution or an NBFC, tax invoice includes any document issued in place of tax invoice by whatever name called, whether or not serially numbered. But the document should contain information as specified above.
Invoice to be Issued by Suppliers in Insurance and Banking Sector
Supplier who is an –
- an Insurer,
- a banking company,
- a financial institution and
- a NBFC
shall issue a tax invoice or any other document in lieu of tax invoice.
The supplier can issue invoice either physically or electronically. Also, the invoice may or may not be serially numbered, and may or may not contain the address of the recipient of taxable service but should contain details as specified in the format of Tax Invoice.
Invoice Issued by Goods Transport Agency (GTA)
In the case of GTA supplying services in relation to transportation of goods by road in a goods carriage, the supplier should issue a tax invoice or any other similar document. The Invoice or document should contain the following details –
- gross weight of the consignment
- name of the consignor and the consignee
- registration number of goods carriage in which the goods are transported
- details of goods transported
- details of place of origin and destination
- Goods and Services Tax Identification Number of the person liable for paying tax whether as consigner, consignee or goods transport agency and also containing
- other information as mentioned in the format of Tax Invoice.
Invoice Issued by Passenger Transporter
A supplier who provides passenger transportation service and is required to issue tax invoice can issue a ticket in any form, whether or not serially numbered, and whether or not containing the address of the recipient of service but containing other information as mentioned in the format of Tax Invoice.