This article discusses how to track GST payment status and other problems you may face while filing.
For a step-by-step guide on how to pay GST online, please visit our article.
How to track GST payment status online?
Go to the GST Portal. To track payment you don’t have to login.
On the Dashboard, go to the Services tab>>Payments>>Track Payment Status.
Enter in your GSTIN and the CPIN. Click Track Status.
The payment status is shown as Paid or Not Paid.
Step 3.1.1- Status- ‘PAID’
If it is showing as paid then you can download the receipt. Click ‘View Receipt’ and then ‘Download’.
Step 3.2.1 Status- ‘NOT PAID’
You can save an offline copy by clicking “Download”.
If you want to view the challan click ‘View Challan’.
The challan will open as below. You can save an offline copy by clicking “Download”.
GST Payment Failures – What Should You Do?
1. I’m confused between CPIN & CIN. Which is which?
CPIN stands for Common Portal Identification Number whereas CIN stands for Challan Identification Number.
The 14-digit CPIN number is generated before payment of GST and the 17-digit CIN number is issued after payment of GST.
The CPIN is issued at the time generating GST tax challan by online. An online GST tax challan can be saved temporarily and editing before generating the final challan.
After cross-checking, you can submit the challan. On submission, GST Portal generates a challan with a 17-digit unique identity number. This number is CIN.
Every CIN is a 17 digit unique code. It comprised of the 14 digit CPIN along with a 3 digit Bank Code.
2. My account was debited more than once for the same online transaction. How can I get the debit transaction reversed?
If both transactions are reflected in the Electronic Cash Ledger, then you must contact the Help Desk using the contact numbers/e-mail IDs given on the GST Portal.
- Help Desk Number:
- Email :
If the Electronic Cash Ledger has only one transaction amount then it may be a transaction error. You should contact your bank.
If funds are debited but the CIN is not generated or the CIN is generated but not communicated, then you can use GST PMT-07 to apply to the bank or electronic gateway through the common portal.
This is available on the GST portal.
On the GST Portal go to Services>>User Services>> Grievance/ Complaints.
Under ‘Submit Grievance’ select the ‘Grievance Type’. Fill up all the details and submit.
3. Can I re-initiate the payment for the same challan using another bank account if my transaction failed from one bank?
Yes. You can use another bank account.
4. I made an offline payment (cash/cheque/DD) after the challan expiry date and the bank has accepted it. However, it is showing as ‘Not Paid’ on the GST Portal. What should I do?
A GST challan is valid for 15 days and gets cancelled automatically after the validity period. The taxpayer has 2 options-
- Pay GST tax with the challan (with CPIN) within validity period or
- Request for a fresh GST challan online after entering the necessary data
Since the payment was made after the expiry date, it cannot be updated on the Portal.
So, even if the bank has accepted your payment, the same can be rejected by the GST Portal due to this reason.
You have to approach the bank and seek a refund for the same. Meanwhile, generate a new challan on the portal.
5. I paid Rs.5,00,000/- through net banking and the amount is deducted from my bank account. However, there was a pop-up message saying the server is down. How can I check if my payment was accepted by the system?
You can follow these steps-
Go to Services >> Payments >> Challan History.
- If the status shows as INITIATED, then the payment is still in process.
- If the status shows FAILED, you will be required to create another challan.
Depending on the status of the challan, the debited amount may either get updated in the Electronic Cash Ledger, or it may be credited back to your bank account. It may take up to 24 Hrs.
6. I will pay GST through Over The Counter mode. In whose favour should I issue the cheque?
Please issue the cheque in favour of “GST Payments”.
7. I’m paying via a cheque. Where can I fill up the challan?
For all modes of payment, the challans must be generated online only.
For Over the Counter payments (cheque/cash/DD) you must print out of the challan and use the same.
Remember, you cannot fill the challan manually. Only online challans are acceptable.
8. I have submitted an incorrectly filled challan. How can I edit it?
If the CPIN is not generated, then you can amend the challan within 7 days from the date of saving the challan for the first time.
However, if the CPIN has been generated, then you must create a new challan. The earlier incorrect challan will automatically expire after 15 days.
9. What is the next step after filling-up a challan?
After filling-up a challan, you must select a payment mode and then make the payment.