E-way bill is a document that a person in charge of the conveyance/vehicle has to carry if the value of goods he is carrying is more than Rs. 50,000. In certain circumstances, the end consumer may also have to generate an e-way bill. In this article, we will look at cases when consumers/ citizens are required to generate an e-way bill and the steps to generate the same.
Extension in the Validity of e-way bills
Update as on 9th June 2020
Any e-way bills generated on or before 24th March 2020 (whose validity has expired on or after 20th day of March 2020) is extended till 30th June 2020.
Update as on 5th May 2020
Any e-way bill generated on or before 24th March 2020 remains valid until 31st May 2020, if its validity period expires anytime between 20th March 2020 and 15th April 2020.
Update as on 3rd April 2020
The validity of the e-way bill extended till 30th April 2020, if the e-way bill expires between 20th March 2020 to 15th April 2020.
Further, the CBIC’s notification of extended time limit up to 30th June 2020 for any compliance falling due between 20th March 2020 and 29th June 2020 does not apply to the generation of e-way bills after 15th April 2020.
1. What are the circumstances when a consumer is required to generate an e-way bill?
In cases where goods whose value exceeds Rs. 50,000 is transported by a consumer’s own vehicle (assuming the recipient consumer is unregistered), he has to carry an e-way bill during the transportation of such goods. The consumer can fill in the vehicle number in Part B of Form GST EWB-01. If the person transporting the goods is an unregistered person or a normal citizen, he can either request the supplier to generate an e-way bill or he can generate it himself by logging into the e-way bill portal for citizens.
2. Steps to generate an e-way bill by Citizens
Step-1: Visit e-way bill portal
Go to “Registration” and select “E-way bill for Citizens”
Click “ Generate New EWB” to generate an e-way bill
Fill up basic information in the application for enrollment and click on “ Continue to Bill Generation”
- The first step requires the consumer to fill in basic details such as:
- State (Mandatory)- Must be with regards to Address mentioned
- Name- Enter the legal name(Mandatory)
- E-mail address and mobile number
- Complete Address of the consumer
- We can also notice that all the information here (except e-mail id and PAN) are compulsory and have to be filled by the consumer in order to generate the e-way bill.
- The consumer has to request for an OTP which will be sent to the mobile and has to be verified on the same screen.
- After filling in the above details, the consumer can click on ‘continue to bill generation’ after ticking against the declaration.
Fill up the details of the items being moved along with the Vehicle details.
- In the screen that appears, select the transaction type as Inward or outward supply
- If the transaction type is outward supply, then the ‘From’ details will be auto-populated from the details keyed in, in the earlier step.
- If the transaction type is inward supply, then the above section (‘To’) will be auto-populated.
- The compulsory fields in the ‘To’ section include:
- GSTIN of the person to whom goods are being transported to -this will be ‘URP’ if the person is an unregistered taxpayer
- Pincode and state of the person to whom goods are being sent to
- Item details such as product name, HSN, taxable value (along with the CGST, SGST, IGST break- up), mode of transportation, approximate distance and vehicle number has to be filled up.
- In the ‘Item details’ section, the following fields are compulsory
- The HSN code of the goods
- The taxable value of the goods and the tax break-up of CGST, SGST,IGST
- Part-B consists of the vehicle details to be entered.
- Approximate distance (to ensure the validity of e-way bill)
- Mode of transportation
- Vehicle number
- The above options vary for different types of transactions. The transaction type for generating an e-way bill can be as follows:
- Outward supply and inward supply- includes the following categories-supply, export, job work, SKD/ CKD,recipient not know, for own use, exhibitions or fairs, line sales and others.
After filling up these details, Click on ‘Submit’. The e-way bill with a unique e-way bill number gets generated.
3. Updating, Printing and Cancelling an e-way bill
After an e-way bill has been generated and the vehicle number has to be updated/ revised, the following steps help in updating the same:
- The consumer will have to enter the mobile number and
- The e-way bill number of the one that is generated in the earlier step and verify the OTP.
This step will further lead to a screen which requires us to enter the new vehicle number.
The same steps mentioned above (i.e. mobile number and e-way bill number) can be used to print the e-way bill from the portal as well as to cancel the e-way bill.