Eway or electronic way bill system under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime is brought in to enable faster and seamless movement of goods through a portal-driven payment system, without vehicles having to wait at state borders. This would also help the government to keep a tight leash on revenue leakages.
1. Way bill in Haryana: Pre Eway Bill eraHaryana has gradually grown in terms of businesses over the past two decades. It is also the largest automobile hub in the country accounting for manufacturing of almost 66 percent of the passenger cars, 50 percent of the tractors and 60 percent of two-wheelers country. There has also been remarkable growth in the IT sector making Haryana the third largest exporter of software services. Before bringing in Eway Bill (i.e. pre GST era), the concept of declaration for transport of goods was brought in by the state government. The VAT rules were implemented through a circular specifying the details on 22nd May 2003. This included that for any movement of goods valued above Rs. 10,000, the dealers had to generate a declaration in Form VAT-D4 (Inward and Outward) or commonly referred to as ‘Transit Slip’ giving details of goods, consignor, consignee and transporter. The transit slip was to be generated by visiting the state governments website at www.haryanatax.gov.in It was also provided that where any tax-free goods were being transferred, the transit slip was not required to be generated.
2. Eway Bill for sending goods outside the stateThrough an order passed by the Central Government on 7th March 2018, the cross border or say the inter-state movement of goods has been brought within the framework of National Eway Bill system from 1st April 2018. Thus, for any movement to outside the state from Haryana, the dealers are required to generate Eway Bill on the portal (https://Eway Bill.nic.in/).
3. Eway bill for sending goods within the stateBy an order passed on 30th March 2018, the state government notified the dealers that no Eway Bill is required to be generated for intra-state (within the state) movement of goods with effect from 1st April 2018. Thus, there is no requirement of the permits (Eway Bill) for movement of goods within the state as of today. Now as communicated by the Haryana Government on 15th April 2018, for the movement of goods within the state from 20th April 2018 onwards, Eway Bill will be required to generate for all the goods where the value of goods being transferred exceed Rs, 50,000. Haryana along with five other states has agreed for the same and the transit pass requirements have been made mandatory for dealers in Haryana.
4. Different ways to generate Eway BillThere are two methods of generating the Eway Bill:
I. Through the online portal
II. Through SMS (Short Message Service)For the generation of Eway Bills through the online portal, the dealers have to visit the NIC Portal. The dealers are required to register themselves on the portal using their GSTIN and then they can start generating Eway Bills for movement of goods. The details like consignee name and address, item description, the value of goods, quantity, etc. are to be provided for generating the Eway Bill. The form to be filled is pretty much self-explanatory and has been made user-friendly for the dealers. For SMS mode of generating Eway Bill, the Central Government has also brought in a channel of generating Eway Bills through SMS. For using this service, please follow the steps as shown here https://cleartax.in/s/generate-gst-eway-bill-via-sms.
5. The validity of Eway BillAn Eway Bill is valid for the below mentioned periods which are broadly based on the distance travelled by the goods in transit. The validity of the Eway Bill is calculated from the date and time when the Eway Bill was generated.
|Type of conveyance||Distance||Validity of EWB|
|Other than Over dimensional cargo||Less than 100 Km||1 Day|
|For every additional 100 Kms or part thereof||1 Additional Day|
|For Over dimensional cargo||Less than 20 Km||1 Day|
|For every additional 20 Kms or part thereof||1 Additional Day|
6. Rejection of Eway BillA dealer has an option to reject the Eway Bills generated by any other party (recipient or supplier) using the dealer’s GSTIN. For example, if the consignment didn’t reach the destination at all as it was cancelled on the way, the recipient may reject the Eway Bill. The dealer requires the following to reject an Eway Bill:
A. Date of generation of Eway Bill
B. Eway Bill number you want to reject
Steps to Reject an Eway Bill:
Step 1: Login to the Eway bill portal and click on ‘Reject’
Step 2: Select the date on which Eway bill was generated and click on ‘Submit’
Step 3: The list of all Eway Bills that were generated on the selected date appears
Step 4: Tick mark the Eway Bills you want to rejectA message appears on the screen once the Eway Bill is successfully rejected. Note: The acceptance or rejection of the Eway Bill can be communicated. If the communication of acceptance or rejection is not sent within 72 hours, the Eway Bill is automatically deemed to be accepted.
7. Cancellation of Eway Bill after its generationIf the goods were never transported or are not transported as per the details furnished in the Eway Bill, then the generator of such Eway bills can cancel the Eway Bill by following the steps below.
Steps to cancel an Eway Bill are as follows:
Step 1: Click on ‘Eway Bill’ / ‘Consolidated EWB’ and Select ‘Cancel’ from the drop down
Step 2: Enter the 12 -digit Eway Bill number for the EWB you want to cancel and click on ‘Go’
The EWB selected appears.Give a suitable reason for cancellation. For example, the goods are not being moved, incorrect entry in the Eway Bill entered. The following shall be kept in mind for cancellation of Eway Bills:
i. Eway bills can be cancelled by the generator of such Eway Bills only
ii. The time-limit to cancel is within 24 hours of generating the Eway Bill
iii. Once cancelled, it is illegal to use such Eway Bill
iv. If the Eway Bill verified by any empowered officer it cannot be cancelled