What is a Patta?
Patta is a legal document issued by the Tamil Nadu government in the name of the actual owner of the property. A patta can be obtained from the Tahsildar’s office of the particular district.
A patta consists of the following details:
- Name of the District, Taluk and Village
- Patta Number
- Name of the owner
- Survey number and subdivision
- Is it a Wetland or a Dry land (Nanjai Nilam and Punjai Nilam in Tamil)
- Area of the land and Tax details
What is a Chitta?
It is a land revenue document maintained by Village Administrative Officer (VAO) and the Taluk office. A chitta provides the relevant detail of the ownership, area, size, .etc of the land. Most importantly it classifies the land into nanjai (wetland) and punjai (dry land).
As of 2015, the government of Tamil Nadu does not issue a Chitta. The Patta and Chitta were merged into one document with all the relevant details mentioned in the Patta.
Applying for Patta Chitta Online
After the Patta and Chitta got merged into one, the Tamil Nadu government has now made the process of filing Patta Chitta online. You can follow these steps:
- Log on to the Tamil Nadu Patta Chitta website, the website is available in two languages – English & Tamil.
- Select the Patta & FMB / Chitta / TSLR Extract and choose the district where your property is located. Add the details of the property for which you require a Patta Chitta. It will have details like Taluk, Village, Ward and Block, Survey Number and Sub Division Number.
- Upon submission of the property details, a certificate from the Town Survey Land Register will be issued online with details of the property. The certificate will contain details such as the type of construction on the property, the municipal door number, locality, type of land, survey number etc.
Checking the status of your Patta Chitta
If you wish to check the status of your Patta Chitta you can do so here. As soon as you enter your Application ID the status of your Patta Chitta will be reflected.
Validity of your Patta certificate
The validity of the issued certificates can be checked online here. All you need to do is add your reference number.
A patta can be obtained online for a nominal fee of Rs.100.