Although the services of cabs and coverage of public transport have improved significantly over the last few years, there are still many reasons to own a car. Apart from offering you the flexibility of going anywhere at any time, having your car gives you a sense of freedom.
To be able to drive a car by yourself, you need to learn how to drive and then obtain a driving license. No matter how much experience you claim to have over driving, you are legally not allowed to drive without a driving license.
Earlier it was a big hassle to visit the Regional Transport Office (RTO) several times to get your driving license. Now, with the rapid progress of technology and the push from Government for e-governance, you can apply for a driving license online.
Why you should you apply for a driving license online
There are two options available to you when applying for a driving license. You can opt to apply in person through your regional transport office or can do so through the online portal. There are various advantages to avail when you consider driving license online apply.
- There is no need to visit the RTO numerous times.
- You can save a lot of time and money.
- No chance of falling victim to touts.
- You can track the driving license status online
- You have access to the latest road safety laws and regulations
Applying for a driving license online is possible for a learner’s license, new driving license and for driving license renewal.
How to apply for a driving license Online
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways now allows you the facility of applying for driving license online. The process is very simple and straightforward. Here are all the steps that you need to take to apply for driving license online: –
- Log-on to the Sarathi website at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//en/user/login
- Towards the left of your screen, you will see an option titled “Driving License”. Click on it.
- Now you need to select the option “Apply Online”. This will open a drop-down menu, from which you need to select the option “New Driving License”.
- This will take you to a new page where you can read all information about the process of submitting your driving license application online. Once you have read the instructions carefully, click on the “Continue” button.
- You will now be asked to select the type of license you hold, i.e. learner’s License, Defence License or a Foreign Driving License.
- Select the appropriate option and click on “Proceed.”
- Depending on the option selected above, you now need to provide the number of the respective license that you are holding along with your date of birth.
- Fill in all the information and click on “OK”.
- Now you need to fill in all your personal information as required on the screen.
- Enter the information accurately.
- Now, you need to upload the scanned copies of your documents including address proof, age proof and residence proof.
- Thereafter, you will need to upload the scanned copies of your passport size photograph and signature. The size and dimensions of the scanned documents must be as per the instructions on the website.
- Now, you will be asked to choose the time for your driving license appointment at your respective RTO.
- Select the date and time of the appointment as per your convenience.
- Thereafter, you need to make the payment for the driving license to submit your form successfully. Once you have made the payment, the application would be forwarded to your RTO.
- Keep a printout of the acknowledgement slip and payment receipt with you. Make a note of your web application number. This will help with checking your driving license status later on.
- Make sure you reach the RTO on the given date as per the described time and take all your original documents with you.
These are all the steps involved in applying for a new driving license online. At the RTO you will have to meet the concerned person who will be taking the driving test. Make sure you take your vehicle along with you when you are going for the test. Follow all the instructions of the instructor and perform all the tasks as required by him. Once you successfully clear the driving test, he/she will forward your application for further processing.
Checking your driving license application status
Once you have cleared the driving test and have submitted the application form successfully, you can check driving license application progress online. Here are the steps that you need to follow to check your driving license status online: –
- Log on to the official website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways: https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan//en/user/login
- Click on the link “Apply Online”.
- From the drop-down menu select the option “Application Status.”
- On the next page enter your Application number and date of birth and click on the “Submit” button.
- You can now see the progress of your application online. It will also tell you if you need to take any steps from your side.
For other services related to Driving License
You can avail other services such as driving license renewal, replacement of driving license, change of name in driving license etc. online as well. The steps you need to take are: –
- Log on to the official website of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice8/sarathiHomePublic.do.
- Click on the link “Apply Online”.
- From the drop-down menu select the option “Services on driving license”.
- On the next page, click continue.
- Now enter all the details as required on the screen and click on the “Go” button.
- Select the services you want to avail and select the state and RTO where you want to apply.
- Click on “Submit Request” button and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
The online services offered concerning driving license have made the entire process of obtaining a new driving license or driving license renewal an effortless task. You need to follow the steps mentioned herein to enjoy these facilities.
File your returns in just 3 minutes
100% pre-fill. No manual data entry