Gst.gov.in is the Government’s GST website, also called the GST Portal/ GSTN, which facilitates GST registration, GST Return filing, and many other services relevant to a taxpayer registered under GST.
Contents on the gst.gov.in Homepage
The home page of the GST website contains the following :
1. Services – The services section contains GST registration link. A person whose turnover exceeds Rs 20 lakh is required to register under GST. Refer to our article having step by step guide on ‘How to register for GST online’. You can apply for GST Registration and Track your application status on the website. The service tab also has other user services like GST Challan Creation, Locate GST Practitioner, etc.
2. Act and Rules – CGST Act and Rules, SGST Act and Rules and all other acts and rules relevant to GST are available for download on GST Portal
3. Download link for GST offline software – The government has both online and offline methods to file GST Returns. The download link for Governments GST offline utility is provided on the website.
4. Search Taxpayer – You can search for a taxpayer using GSTIN to verify the details of the taxpayer. This feature is available in the home page and also after logging in.
5. Help – The help section contains many how-to guides. User-manuals, Videos and FAQ’s have been made available to the user to resolve any doubt in return filing process, GST registration, etc.
6. News | Updates | Events – On scrolling down you can see all news like the change in due dates and change in processes are updated in this section. Updates on rates are also posted here.
7. Important Dates – This contains due dates for GST returns – The website also displays the due dates for GST returns on the home page. This is to help new users to be updated about the due dates of return filing.
8. Notification & Circulars – Any communication from the government like the extension of due dates and clarification on certain rules are made through notifications and circulars. These are available on governments GST website gst.gov.in.
Services provided in the GST Portal (website) once logged in
A registered user can log in on gst.gov.in
Once a user logs in these are the services available to a user. Click on the service to see the detailed guide.
- Application for Registration for Normal Taxpayer, ISD, Casual Dealer
- Application for GST Practitioner
- Opting for Composition Scheme (GST CMP-02)
- Stock intimation for Composition Dealers (GST CMP-03)
- Opting out of Composition Scheme (GST CMP-04)
- Filing GST Returns
- Payment of GST
- Filing Table 6A of GSTR-1 (Export Refund)
- Claim Refund of excess GST paid (RFD-01)
- Transition Forms (TRAN-1, TRAN-2, TRAN-3)
- Viewing E-Ledgers
Other than the above changing core and non-core fields, browsing notices received, filing ITC Forms, Engage/ Disengage GST Practitioner are some of the other services provided by the GST Portal/ GSTN.
How to register on gst.gov.in?
Every person is required to register for GST when the turnover exceeds Rs 20 lakh.
This is required to be done on GST website. It is very easy to register on gst.gov.in. It is a simple 11 Step process to register on Government GST website.
How can ClearTax help you?
ClearTax provides the following services to make your entire GST learning and GST Return Filing easier:
1. ClearTax HSN Code and Rate Finder – Search for GST rate on a product and the HSN or SAC code by just typing in the name of the product in the HSN Code and Rate Finder.
2. GST Act – Our GST Act page has a search bar. You can search for topics in the act without the need to go through all the pages.
3. ClearTax GST Guide – Search for topics on GST Guide page to understand GST in depth and have good application knowledge of GST.
4. ClearTax GST Software – File GST Returns using ClearTax GST Software. It is quick and easy.
ClearTax GST Advantage:
- Upload the return data directly to your GST login.
- Know your tax liability before filing your return.
- Use ClearTax Assistant chrome plugin to autofill tax payment challan.