1. What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana?
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana was launched with an aim to provide housing at an affordable price to the weaker sections of the society, lower income group people, urban poor and rural poor. The Yojana includes construction of around 20 million houses at an affordable price by the March 31, 2022. The scheme is getting financial assistance of USD 31 billion from the Central Government. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana includes two components:
1. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana –Urban (PMAY-U)
2. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G)
The scheme is also linked with other schemes like:
1. Swachh Bharat Abhiyan which aims at reducing open defecation by constructing in-house toilets and community-owned toilets and aims to maintain cleanliness around the streets, roads, and houses.
2. Saubhagya Yojana which aims at providing electricity connection
3. Ujjwala Yojana which aims at providing LPG Gas connection
4. Accessibility of pure drinking water
5. Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana which aims at opening a zero balance account and spreading banking facilities to each and every person in the society.
2. Components of PMAY
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana has four major components:
1. In-Situ Redevelopment of slum using Land as a resource with the participation of private sectors. This mission aims at leveraging the potential of land under slum areas and providing formal urban establishments to slum dwellers.
2. Credit Linked Subsidy: Under this scheme the government will provide interest subsidy of 6.5% on housing loan for 15 years from the start of the loan, which will make affordable housing. The Net Present Value (NPV) of the interest subsidy will be calculated at a discount rate of 9 %. The loan amount of Rs 6 lakhs is only applicable for credit-linked subsidy scheme and amount beyond Rs 6 lakhs does not attract any subsidy rate. The lending institutions will directly credit the interest subsidy to the beneficiaries’ account which will result in reduced Equated Monthly Installment (EMI) and reduced housing loan amount.
3. Affordable Housing in Partnership(AHP): In partnership with Public and Private sector, affordable housing will be provided to Economically Weaker Sections. The State/Union Territories either with different agencies or in partnership with different industries can plan affordable housing projects.
4. Enhancement and construction of beneficiary led house – Under this fourth component, the beneficiaries who are not able to avail advantages of the above three components will be benefited. This mission provides assistance to families of EWS categories to construct new houses or enhance the existing houses on their own to cover the beneficiaries. Under the mission, the families will get the central assistance of Rs 1.50 lakh to enhance their existing houses or construct new houses. Under the PMAY the houses will be constructed with eco-friendly technology and preferences will be given to the older person and disabled while allotting ground floors.
3. How to Apply for PMAY?
PMAY can be applied by two categories under three components
Under Other 3 components: The Economic Weaker section which includes Low Income group (LIG), Middle Income group (MIG) and EWS are considered as beneficiaries for Housing for All Scheme. EWS have an income annual cap of Rs 3lakhs, LIG has a cap between Rs 3 to 6 lakhs, and MIG has a cap between Rs 6 to 18 lakhs.
Slum Dwellers– Around 300 people leaving in poorly built residences which are unhygienic, unhealthy drinking water and sanitation facilities.
Steps to log in
1. Log on to the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana official website at https://pmaymis.gov.in/
2. Under the citizen assessment drop-down, select the benefits under three components as shown below
3. Enter Aadhaar details to proceed ( mandatory for enrolling in PMAY)
4. After filling in the Aadhar details, you will reach the application form stage where you will have to fill the details accurately.
5. Once this is done, choose the ‘Save’ option and enter the Captcha code.
6. Then, click on the ‘Save’ button. The application is now complete and a print out can be taken at this stage.
4. FAQs on PMAY
Q: Who all can avail the benefits of the PMAY scheme?
A: Any Indian citizen who belongs to the EWS, LIG or MIG category can avail the benefits of this scheme.
Q: Can a person apply twice?
A: No, since your account is linked with your Aadhar Card, you would not be able to apply twice.
Q: Is there any registration fee for this scheme?
A: If you are applying through the online portal, there will be no charges. If you apply offline you will have to pay a registration fee of Rs. 25 plus GST.