Every Indian citizen is required to obtain a Permanent Account Number. It is a code which has 10 characters and is alphanumeric. It is in the form of “AAAAA8888A”. A PAN card copy looks like this:
A PAN card is required to be given at a number of bank transactions like opening an account at any Bank, for receiving any income, salary or professional fees.
A Hindu Undivided Family, a Trust, Company or a Limited Liability partnership will be required to get different PAN Card from the owners as they have a separate legal entity.
In what circumstances is PAN Card Mandatory?
PAN Card is mandatory in the following circumstances:
- In the opening of a Bank Account
- To make an application for a Debit or a Credit Card
- It is required for the opening of a Demat Account
- It is required to be given for any purchase of a 2 wheeler or a 4 wheeler
- Where the payment for buying or selling of foreign currency exceeds Rs. 50,000
- Any payment to an insurer if it exceeds the limit of Rs. 50,000
- Any sale or purchase of any immovable property
- For completing any transaction above the limit of Rs. 2,00,000
What are the documents required to apply for a PAN Card?
Following are the documents which are required to be needed for obtaining the PAN Card if the applicant is an Indian Citizen: (ANY 2)
For Identity Proof: Any 1 of the following
- Ration Card of the applicant with his photo
- A copy of the Voter’s ID Card
- A Copy of the Passport
- A Copy of the Driving License of the applicant.
- A copy of the Aadhar Card of the applicant
- A copy of the Bank Statement of any account of the applicant.
- A copy of the Pensioner Card; only if it has the photo of the applicant.
- 2 Photographs of the applicant (recent)
For Address Proof: Any 1 of the following
- A copy of any Utility Bill of the applicant like the electricity bill, water bill etc.
- A marriage certificate issued the by the Registrar
- A copy of the passport of the applicant
- A copy of the driving license of the applicant.
- A domicile certificate issued by the government.
- A copy of the passbook from the Post office
If the Individual is not a citizen of India:
- A Copy of the Passport
- A Copy of overseas citizenship of India card which is issued by the Indian Government (OCI Card i.e for a person who is a citizen of another country but was a citizen of India before the Independence of the country or is a child or a grandchild of a citizen of India)
- A Copy of Person of Indian Origin card issued by the Indian Government or
- A copy of the applicable Visa
- A copy of the CIN Number (Citizenship Identification Number) which is duly attested by the Indian Embassy or Attested by the Apostille.
- A copy of the statement of the Bank Account of the applicant in the country of his own residence.
How to apply for PAN Card?
There are 2 ways to apply for a PAN Card i.e either offline mode or online mode.
For the offline mode-
- Then all the other details like the name, address etc of the applicant have to be written in the form.
- After filling up the form the Photo of the applicant in a plain background has to be pasted in the box given for the same. Two at the top of the first page of the form and one on the second page of the form at the left side.
- The applicant is required to attach their identity and address proof along with the form. Both these documents have to be self-attested (i.e signed by oneself)
- After the all documents have been attached, the form is required to be signed at 3 places, where it states “SIGNATURE/LEFT THUMB IMPRESSION OF THE APPLICANT”
- After all the signatures have been made, all the forms along with all the documents will be sent to any one of the PAN centres in the country. The list of the centres can be checked on this link. along with the DD or a cheque of Rs. 110 (Rs. 93 for the processing fee and 18% Goods and Service Tax) https://www.tin-nsdl.com/pan-center.html
For the online mode-
- In the online mode the, the NSDL site at this link has to be opened.
- The site will open the following page:
- To apply through the online mode, Aadhar Card is mandatory. Once the Aadhar number is filled it will pick up all the details automatically
- After filling up the relevant details click on submit
- After submitting the page will be redirected to the payment gate and fees of Rs Rs. 110 (Rs. 93 for the processing fee and 18% Goods and Service Tax) will have to be paid.
- Once the fee is paid, an acknowledgment will be generated along with a 15 digit number. This slip has to be sent to the following address:
Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411016.
- After the application reached there, it will be processed in a matter of 15 days and dispatched to the home address provided in the application.
How can I get my details in the PAN Card corrected?
If by any chance any detail on the PAN Card is wrongly mentioned it can be corrected by going to the following link. https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/changerequest.html . After going to this web page, select the option for online application for the change in PAN Data. After clicking on this option the form will open for the change will be filled and a fee of Rs. 110.00 ( Rs. 93.00 + 18.00% Goods & Services Tax) will be paid.
Or it can also be done by downloading the correction form from this link- https://www.tin-nsdl.com/downloads/pan/download/PAN-CR-Form_NSDL%20e-Gov_01.06.16.pdf and filling all the required information. After that, this form is to be mailed along with the supporting documents and the requisite fees mentioned above to any of the PAN centres of the country.
The same process has to be followed that was followed while applying for a new PAN Card.
How can I surrender my PAN Card?
In the online mode the same form which was used in PAN Correction will be downloaded and the option of “Changes or Correction in existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)” will be selected. The required scanned copy of all the documents will be submitted along with the application, once the fee is paid and the acknowledgment number is generated it will be sent to the PUNE address mentioned above.
In the offline mode, the copy of the firm will be printed and filled and submitted along with the requisite documents in the nearest NSDL centre along with the required fees.