Invest in Mutual funds via BLACK APP



Looking for a business loan


Thank you for your interest, our team will get back to you shortly

Please Fill the Details to download

Thank you for your response

Get Expert Assistance

Thank you for your response

Our representative will get in touch with you shortly.

What to do if you have two PAN

Updated on :  

08 min read.

PAN or Permanent account number is a unique 10 digit alphanumeric identity allotted by the income tax department. It serves as an identity proof. But every person should possess only one PAN number. It’s illegal for a person or company to have more than one PAN Number. If caught, Income Tax Department can take a legal action or put financial penalty. Person may get two PAN numbers owing to many reasons such as:

  • Where Changes/Corrections in PAN are required: When a person wants to make a correction in PAN, he applies for new PAN instead of applying for correction in the same PAN. It results in having more than one PAN number.
  • Multiple applications: There are chances that a person applies for PAN and if it is not received within some time, he reapplies for it. This results in having more than one PAN number. A person who has applied for PAN can check the status of PAN online also instead of reapplying it.
  • New PAN after marriage: Several women who change cities post marriage apply for a new PAN with their new surname. Instead, they should get the last name changed on their existing PAN.
  • Fraudulent Purposes: Some people might apply for multiple PANs with an intention to cheat the government or save money. This is illegal and will attract a penalty.

How to Apply for the Surrender of Additional PAN?

Whatever may be the reason, person should not have more than one PAN numbers. Under the Income Tax Act, penalty for having more than one PAN is Rs 10,000.So, if you have two PAN, then you should apply for the surrender of additional PAN.

You can apply for surrender of PAN Offline and online both. Here is the detailed procedure to apply for surrender of PAN:

ONLINE Step 1:  Fill and submit PAN Change Request application form by mentioning the PAN which you are using currently on top of the form. All other PAN/s inadvertently allotted to you should be mentioned in item no. 11 of the form and the corresponding PAN card copy/s should be submitted for cancellation along with the form .  https://www.tin-nsdl.com/faqs/pan/faq-pan-cancellation.html

OFFLINE Step 1 Fill up Form 49A for Change or Correction in PAN, mention the PAN number to be surrendered and submit the form to the nearest UTI or NSDL TIN facilitation centre. Save a copy of Acknowledgment for future reference

Step 2 – Write a letter addressed to the Assessing Officer of your jurisdiction (You can find your Jurisdiction officer from www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in (Know your Jurisdiction Officer). Mention your personal details such as the full name on your PAN card, date of birth (or date of incorporation in case of companies or firms), PAN card number to be retained and details of duplicate PAN card being surrendered and keep the acknowledgement received.

Step 3 – At the time of submission of Letter mentioned in Point 2 above, also enclose a copy of Duplicate PAN to be surrendered along with Acknowledgment Copy obtained from NSDL TIN facilitation center as obtained in point 1 mentioned above.

Related Articles

How to Apply for Aadhaar card

How to Link Aadhaar card to PAN

inline CTA
File your returns in just 3 minutes
100% pre-fill. No manual data entry
Hide →