With 900 million eligible voters, India is definitely the largest democracy in the world. 2019, is a crucial year for our democratic nation given that the most significant democratic election is going to be held soon. As responsible citizens, it is our duty to cast our votes and electing the most worthy political party to govern the country. To cast a vote, we need to have a Voter ID card also known as Elector’s Photo ID card.
The voter ID card indicates that you are an Indian citizen above the age of 18 years listed in the electoral rolls, a list of people eligible to cast their vote. The voter ID card also helps in regulating fraud and streamline the voting process, a necessary step due to the countries huge demographics. Registration for a voter ID card is an easy process that can be done online.
- Steps for Voter ID card registration
- Documents required for Voter ID online registration
- Mistakes to Avoid While registration of Voter ID online
1. Steps for Voter ID card registration
Voter ID online registration for resident citizens:
- Click on Apply online for registration of a new voter; this will redirect you to Form 6.
- Select your State and your Assembly/Parliamentary Constituency.
- Enter your details that include:
- Age and Date of birth
- Details of family members who are already enrolled.
- Any field marked red is a mandatory field and has to be filled in.
- You can then upload supporting documents:
- Enter your place and date of filling in the form.
- You can save your filled form and continue at a later time. If you’ve completed your form, you can click on Submit.
Post Submission Procedure
- The Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) will post your form on their notice board inviting any objections. In case there is an objection it needs to be made in a weeks time. Post this period your name will be added to the electoral roll.
- If someone does object the ERO will hold a hearing in which both the applicant and the objector may present their case.
- Confirmation of your inclusion in the Electoral roll will be sent via SMS on the registered number or by post.
- Electoral Rolls can be viewed on the state’s Chief Electoral Officer’s website.
2. Documents required for Voter ID online registration
- Address Proof:
- Utility Bills
- Latest bank statement
- PAN Card
- Passport copy
- Driving License
- Government-issued service card
- Public sector bank passbook
- Rental/ Lease Agreement or Property Document with deed and photograph
- Arm’s License
- SC/ ST/ OBC official document
- Railway Identity card
- Student Identity Card
- Document for Physical Handicap
- Freedom fighter identity card
- Pension Document etc.
- Proof of Age:
- SSLC Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Driving License
- any other suitable document that specifies your age.
- Two recent passport sized photographs:
- This photo would appear on the Elector’s Photo Identity Card. The photo should be taken in less than six months before submission.
3. Mistakes to Avoid While registration of Voter ID online
A few things to watch out for while Voter ID Card online registration, are –
- Ensure that you are using the correct form to register for a voter ID:
- Form 6- for first-time voters
- Form 7 – to object an application for inclusion on the electoral roll
- Form 8 – for correction of details on an existing voter ID
- Form 8-A -cor changing address within the same constituency
- You need to ensure all the supporting documents have been submitted along with your registration to make sure that all the details provided by you are correct.
- While filling the form, you need to make sure that all the details are error-free. If any such error does occur, the same will be reflected on your voter ID. Always double check the information you fill in the form for spelling errors or any other errors.