The significance of Aadhaar has grown many folds ever since the Government of India decided to link it with a range of documents and services, including the mobile number.
The government has made it mandatory to link Aadhaar with your mobile number to weed out illegal mobile numbers used for criminal activities. However, the process has been simplified to help you seed your mobile number without hassles.
Two scenarios will arise when you decide to link your Aadhaar with a mobile number: Either you already have an updated mobile number, or your Aadhaar has no mobile number attached to it. The process will be starkly different in either case.
Link Mobile Number To Aadhar Card Online For The First Time (Offline Method)
Unfortunately, this process cannot be done online. You will have to visit the nearest Aadhaar centre.
- Collect the Aadhaar update form from the nearest centre.
- Enter the accurate information along with your mobile number. Alternatively, you can also download the form from UIDAI website.
- Mention on the form that only your phone number needs to be updated. Submit it to the concerned office along with a photocopy of your Aadhaar card and one photo ID proof such as PAN card, voter id, passport, etc.
- The next step will be the verification of your thumb impression and biometrics. It will be matched with the ones recorded during the Aadhaar application process.
- The officer will give you an acknowledgement slip. You can expect the update to take place within five days. However, it could even take up to 10 days as per UIDAI website.
- You can track the status of your Aadhaar update using the Update Request Number (URN) provided in the acknowledgement slip.
Aadhar Card Link With Mobile Number (Online Method)
Here is a guide to linking your Aadhaar card to your mobile number online without visiting an Aadhaar Seva Kendra:
- Go to the Indian Postal Service website link.
- Enter details- your name, address, Pincode, mobile number, and email address.
- Under ‘Service’, choose ‘PPB- Aadhaar Service’ from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘UIDAI-Mobile/Email to Aadhaar linking/update’.
- Once you fill in all the necessary fields, click on the ‘Request OTP’ button.
- Next, enter the OTP received on your mobile number.
- Now click on ‘Confirm Service Request’. You will receive a Reference Number using which you can track your application status.
- The service request will be sent to the post office near you on successful submission.
- The verification process will be done by an officer assigned the task. The officer will visit your address and verify using a mobile biometric device (For iris, fingerprints and photographs).
- They will complete the update/linking process and charge you a fee for the service.
Verifying SIM Using Aadhaar(OTP Method):
After much deliberation, UIDAI has decided to allow linking Aadhaar with a mobile number via OTP without providing your biometrics to the telecom service provider.
- Most service providers have direct links for the process. You can enter your mobile number on your service provider’s website.
- You will get an OTP on your registered number which you will have to enter on the website.
- Next, you will have to check the ‘consent box’ that will appear after you enter your Aadhaar number.
- The telecom service providers will then request UIDAI for OTP. If your number is updated, you will receive an OTP from UIDAI.
- You will again get a ‘consent message’ that needs to be checked. You will have to enter the received OTP to complete the verification process.
Finally, you will receive a message stating that your mobile number has been re-verified.
Alternatively, users can also resort to the Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS) provided by your telecom service provider. The process will be similar to the online procedure except for the fact that the voice-based system will guide you in the process. The Government of India has also directed the telecom operators to ensure agent-assisted verification for the differently-abled citizens.
The Aadhaar mobile linking is expected to eliminate all the fake mobile numbers procured on forged documents.
What Are The Documents Required To Link Your Aadhaar Card?
No document is needed to link the mobile number with the Aadhaar. However, you must carry the Aadhaar card when visiting the Aadhaar Seva Kendra.
If you want to know how to link Adhaar with PAN .
Advantages Of Linking Mobile Number With Aadhaar Card
You should link your Aadhaar with your mobile number to avail of the following services:
- Aadhaar-related facilities on the UIDAI website
- Online Self Service Update Portal (SSUP) to update address details
- To avail of all online services related to Aadhaar.
- To download your Aadhaar card online.
- Use the mAadhaar app and avail of various Aadhaar services using your mobile phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any charges for Aadhaar-sim linking?
No, linking Aadhaar with a mobile number is absolutely free.
Will I need a new SIM after Aadhaar linking? Or will the tariff change?
No, you will not need any new SIM card nor will your tariff change post the Aadhaar seeding.
I am not in my home state, my address has changed. Can I re-verify my Aadhaar with mobile?
Yes, you can still link your Aadhaar to your mobile number. You only need the sim registered with UIDAI to be active.
What if I don’t have an Aadhaar card?
Irrespective of whether you have Aadhaar or not, your mobile services will be deactivated post the deadline. It is recommended that you get the Aadhaar as soon as possible.
What if there are multiple mobile numbers. Do we need to verify Aadhaar for each number separately?
You need to complete biometric verification of each mobile number separately.
File your returns in just 3 minutes
100% pre-fill. No manual data entry