Aadhaar is the largest biometric identification system in the world, where individuals are provided with a unique 12-digit number which is linked to their biometrics. It would not be an exaggeration to say that in future Aadhaar would become mandatory for availing the benefits of government schemes.
Aadhar card serves as proof of address and identity as well. It is therefore essential that all your details and information in the Aadhaar card are accurate. Otherwise, you might not be able to receive the benefits of government schemes. If there have been any changes in your information or biometrics, you must go for an Aadhar Card Update immediately.
Aadhaar Latest Update
The last date for linking Aadhaar with PAN has been extended to 30th June 2020 from 31st March 2020.
Read here to know – How to link aadhaar to PAN
1. When do you need to go for an UIDAI Aadhaar Update?
There can be some situations that can require you to apply for Aadhaar card correction. Some of the most common scenarios being: –
- Change in your contact details (mobile number or address)
- Change in your name (after marriage or willingly)
- Clerical errors by the operator during the enrolment process
- Change in Biometrics due to an accident (Fingerprint, Iris)
- Change in the local language
- Quality of biometrics captured during enrolment not being up to the mark.
- Updating Aadhaar card with the age of a child (at the age of 5 years and 15 years)
- The demand for additional documents by UIDAI
- In case of multiple authentication failures
2. Documents required for an Aadhaar Card Update
The documents required for updating your Aadhar data vary according to the nature of the change required. The detailed list of documents could be checked at the official portal of UIDAI or by clicking on the following link: –
3. Aadhaar Card Update Process
The Aadhaar card update process can be completed via two modes, i.e. through an online portal or enrolment centre.
While the demographic information can be updated through any of the above two modes, updating biometric data is possible only through the enrolment centre.
Here is the detailed stepwise guide to help you with the UIDAI Aadhar update.
1. Aadhaar Card Correction through the online portal
If you want to change or update the demographic data in your Aadhar such as Aadhaar card mobile number update or address update online, you can log-on to the self-service portal of the UIDAI and follow the steps mentioned below for any Aadhaar card correction online.
a. Log-on to the official UIDAI website at https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/aadhaar-home/.
b. Locate the section titled “Update Your Aadhaar ” and then click on the link “Update your address Online.”
c. On the next page, enter your Aadhaar number and type in the captcha code and click on the button “send OTP”.
You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Type in the OTP when prompted. This will take you to your Aadhaar update portal.
d. Here, you can select the demographic information that you want to update such as name, address, mobile number etc.
e. Now, enter the updated information as updated on the screen. Make sure that you enter the correct and up to date information. Also, check if every other information in your Aadhar data is accurate. If you need to change any information regarding the pin code, district, post office, state etc. you must contact the UIDAI help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
f. After you are satisfied with the details, click on the “Submit” button. This will generate a URN. Note down the URN at a safe place as it will be required to check the Aadhar card update status later on.
g. You will now be given the option to select a BPO for your request. Select any of the given BPO and click submit.
Now on the next page, you will be asked to upload scanned and self-attested copies of the approved documents as mentioned at https://resident.uidai.gov.in/Resident-theme/pdf/valid_documents_list.pdf
2. Aadhaar Card Correction through Enrolment Centre
If you do not have access to internet and computer, or need to update your biometric details, you can visit your nearest Aadhar enrolment centre. Steps involved in changing the Aadhaar details through an enrolment centre are:-
- You can now download the copy of the acknowledgement.
- It usually takes a few working days for the information to be updated. You can check the status of your update request using the URN on the portal.
- If your request is approved, you will receive your updated Aadhar card through mail at your address. If the request is rejected for any reason, you will need to re-apply for the same.
Find out the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre through the UIDAI portal.
Getting the information in your Aadhaar Card is extremely important otherwise you might lose out on several benefits that you are entitled to. With the help of the online portal as well as a permanent enrolment centre, the process of the Aadhar card update has become conveniently easy. If you also need to get your Aadhaar data updated, you must act soon and complete the process through the appropriate online channels.
- You are not required to make any prior appointment and can visit the permanent enrolment centre as per your convenience.
- Make sure you take the original copies of all your documents that have been mentioned against the respective change of information option. You can access the list of documents at – https://resident.uidai.gov.in/Resident-theme/pdf/valid_documents_list.pdf
- The operator would verify your details and if your documents are in order, and then the operator will proceed with the Aadhaar card correction online.
- The operator would enter all the details in the software, take your biometrics (if required) and scan the copies of your documents.
- Once the process is completed, you will get an acknowledgement receipt which will have the URN.
- You can track the status of the update request against your Aadhaar through the UIDAI portal.
- If your documents are in order, you will receive the updated copy of Aadhar at your address in a few working days.